Infrastructure boost! Indian Railways set to get modern ‘Make in India’ locomotives; check out images and facts
Indian Railways is all set to get a new set of diesel locomotives that will replace an ageing fleet of engines. One such set of locomotives is being made by GE Transportation under the Modi government's 'Make in India' initiative. Most of these locomotives will be manufactured at GE factory in Bihar. GE recently unveiled the first of the 1000 Evolution Series diesel locomotives that will be supplied to the Indian Railways.
We take a look at some interesting facts about the locomotives that will help in enhancing traffic movement on the Railway network:
According to GE, the 1,000 locomotives will be delivered to Indian Railways over the next 10 years at the rate of 100 locomotives a year. Initially, 40 of the twin-cab 1,676 mm gauge locomotives will be exported from the US.
GE Transportation will supply 700 locomotives of 4,500 HP and 300 of 6,000 HP. The project is part of a $2.6 billion contract that the Ministry of Railways had awarded in November 2015. The locomotives will start arriving in India at the end of this year GE has subjected them to rigorous testing.
Meanwhile, GE is building its locomotive factory in Marhowra, Bihar. This factory will be used to manufacture the rest of the locomotives from the third quarter of 2018.
GE claims that the new set of locomotives will "significantly modernise India's rail infrastructure". GE is also building maintenance sheds at Roza in UP and Gandhidham in Gujarat.
The 4,500 HP locomotive will have dual cabs. On the other hand, the 6,000 HP locomotive will be equipped with a single cab. The locomotives will have amenities such as air-conditioning. The locomotives will be able to attain a maximum speed of 100 km/hr.
More from this section
- World’s first flying taxi takes test flight in Dubai; see pictures
- World’s iconic structures come alive in Durga Puja pandal themes; check out stunning images
- Sachin Tendulkar, Aaditya Thackeray boost Swachhata Hi Seva campaign in Mumbai, PM Narendra Modi hails effort
- Bhoomi collection: How well has this Sanjay Dutt film done at the box office? Result will disappoint you
- Newton collection Day 4: India’s Oscar entry scripts success at Box Office, earns Rs 8.21 crore after horror start
- Jio Phone unboxing in pics: Check out what’s inside the Reliance 4G VoLTE feature handset
- Mahamana Express to finally get swankier AC-3 tier coaches! Here’s an exclusive sneak peek
- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis visits India, first cabinet-level visit to India from Trump administration, see pics
- Mukesh Ambani tops, but Patanjali chief Acharya Balkrishna with Rs 70,000 cr, D-Mart chief Radhakishan Damani are the real eye-ball grabbers in Hurun rich list