Indian Navy’s INS Sharda saves MV Lord Mountbatten crew from pirates in Gulf of Aden; check out photos
Indian Navy’s offshore patrol vessel, INS Sharda on Wednesday afternoon stopped a piracy attempt on bulk carrier MV Lord Mountbatten in the Gulf of Aden, reported news agency ANI. Later in a statement released by the Indian Navy, it stated that a distress call was received by INS Sharda from MV Lord Mountbatten in position 230 NM (nautical miles) south-west of Salalah. Responding to the call, INS Sharda stopped an attempt of piracy from two suspicious mother vessels along with 7-8 skiffs. Here are some spectacular pictures of the incident:
1. INS Sharda is deployed for anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden since 06 Apr 17. On 16 May 17, it received a distress call from MV Lord (a Liberian-registered ship), in position 230 nm South-West of Salalah (in the Gulf of Aden).
2. The vessel stated that an attempt of piracy has been made by two suspicious mother vessels along with seven to eight skiffs.
3. Responding to the call, Sharda proceeded at best speed to investigate the incident.
4. The dhows and their skiffs were searched by Indian Navy's MARCOS, with the help of an armed helicopter.
5. One high calibre AKM rifle along with one filled magazine (28 rounds) was found hidden on board one of the dhows. The weapon and ammunition were confiscated to prevent future illegal misuse.
More from this section
- India to buy 22 Predator Guardian drones from the US: What is so special about these, see pics
- OnePlus 5 vs iPhone 7 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus vs OnePlus 3t vs Xiaomi Mi 6: Specs, price, features compared, see pictures
- PSLV-C38 succesfully sends 31 satellites into space; check out pics
- Countdown for PSLV-C38 Cartosat-2 series satellite launch starts; India’s eye in the sky to get sharper, wider
- Paris Air Show: Here are the best picks from massive fair of aviation industry
- Shirdi Airport opening soon! Now travel from Mumbai to Shirdi temple town in 40 minutes; check images
- Tubelight Box Office Collections prediction: Here are Salman Khan’s top Eid releases; will he score, or not this time?
- Tubelight movie: 10 Interesting facts about what makes Salman Khan starrer special
- International Yoga Day 2017: These ladies are teaching yoga to the world, from changing lifestyles to making a living, here are top 5 to know