Indian Navy’s INS Sharda saves MV Lord Mountbatten crew from pirates in Gulf of Aden; check out photos
Indian Navy’s offshore patrol vessel, INS Sharda on Wednesday afternoon stopped a piracy attempt on bulk carrier MV Lord Mountbatten in the Gulf of Aden, reported news agency ANI. Later in a statement released by the Indian Navy, it stated that a distress call was received by INS Sharda from MV Lord Mountbatten in position 230 NM (nautical miles) south-west of Salalah. Responding to the call, INS Sharda stopped an attempt of piracy from two suspicious mother vessels along with 7-8 skiffs. Here are some spectacular pictures of the incident:
1. INS Sharda is deployed for anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden since 06 Apr 17. On 16 May 17, it received a distress call from MV Lord (a Liberian-registered ship), in position 230 nm South-West of Salalah (in the Gulf of Aden).
2. The vessel stated that an attempt of piracy has been made by two suspicious mother vessels along with seven to eight skiffs.
3. Responding to the call, Sharda proceeded at best speed to investigate the incident.
4. The dhows and their skiffs were searched by Indian Navy's MARCOS, with the help of an armed helicopter.
5. One high calibre AKM rifle along with one filled magazine (28 rounds) was found hidden on board one of the dhows. The weapon and ammunition were confiscated to prevent future illegal misuse.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugurates projects at Kandla Port; see photos
- TS EAMCET results 2017: Visit eamcet.tsche.ac.in to check your Telangana EAMCET scores now
- CBSE 12th result 2017 likely to be out on May 24: Here’s how to check your marks online
- IPL 2017 Final – Mumbai Indians vs Pune Supergiant: Rohit Sharma puts it across Steve Smith, MS Dhoni by 1 run to lift trophy
- Donald Trump’s first foreign trip after becoming President: Take a look
- IPL 2017: Basil Thampi, Manoj Tiwary to Rahul Tripathi, 5 spectacularly successful players who came cheap
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: Tendulkar meets PM Narendra Modi, gets an inspiring message; check pics
- Goa bridge collapse: Victims watching suicide bid fall into river
- Keam result 2017: Entrance Examination results likely today, visit cee.kerala.gov.in for updates