Indian Navy’s INS Sharda saves MV Lord Mountbatten crew from pirates in Gulf of Aden; check out photos
Indian Navy’s offshore patrol vessel, INS Sharda on Wednesday afternoon stopped a piracy attempt on bulk carrier MV Lord Mountbatten in the Gulf of Aden, reported news agency ANI. Later in a statement released by the Indian Navy, it stated that a distress call was received by INS Sharda from MV Lord Mountbatten in position 230 NM (nautical miles) south-west of Salalah. Responding to the call, INS Sharda stopped an attempt of piracy from two suspicious mother vessels along with 7-8 skiffs. Here are some spectacular pictures of the incident:
1. INS Sharda is deployed for anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden since 06 Apr 17. On 16 May 17, it received a distress call from MV Lord (a Liberian-registered ship), in position 230 nm South-West of Salalah (in the Gulf of Aden).
2. The vessel stated that an attempt of piracy has been made by two suspicious mother vessels along with seven to eight skiffs.
3. Responding to the call, Sharda proceeded at best speed to investigate the incident.
4. The dhows and their skiffs were searched by Indian Navy's MARCOS, with the help of an armed helicopter.
5. One high calibre AKM rifle along with one filled magazine (28 rounds) was found hidden on board one of the dhows. The weapon and ammunition were confiscated to prevent future illegal misuse.
More from this section
- SEE PICS: Xi Jinping addresses 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China; Junks any talk of reforms
- Nanmoku – Japan’s ‘vanishing village’ looks to Shinzo Abe’s LDP for survival; take a look
- From Ministry of Defence recruitment 2017, Indian Navy recruitment to Maharashtra CET 2018 syllabus; here are exam, jobs updates for you
- Beijing turns into virtual fortress for 19th Congress of Communist Party of China; see pics
- These ‘Make in India’ electric locomotives will herald a new era for Indian Railways; must-see images & facts
- Secret Superstar box office collections prediction vs Judwaa 2 vs Toilet Ek Prem Katha; Aamir Khan to beat all in 2017; know why
- INS Kiltan: Indian Navy’s new ‘Make in India’ anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette packs a potent punch!
- Indian Navy recruitment 2017, Maharashtra CET 2018 to ICAT 2018 Application forms, here are the latest education news
- Sneak Peek at World’s largest airport: Beijing New Airport set to become reality; cost attached unbelievable, but photos fabulous