Tejas Express: Inside Indian Railways’ luxury train that will take you from Mumbai to Goa at 130 kmph!
Tejas Express - Suresh Prabhu's idea of future train travel in India - is ready! Indian Railways is all set to roll out the luxurious feature-packed Tejas Express whose coaches have been designed to bear speeds of up to 200 kmph! Reports suggest that the first rake of the new train will start playing between Mumbai and Goa - so get ready to zip across short distances with infotainment and luxury on board! While the coaches of the train have been designed to take speeds of up to 200 kmph (clearly with an aim to increase speed later), for now the train will ply at a maximum speed of 130 kmph. Tejas Express has also been proposed for Delhi-Chandigarh and Surat to Mumbai route.
From WiFi, star chiefs-chosen menu to LCD screens for entertainment - here's an exclusive preview of the Tejas Express!
The Tejas Express has redesigned seats with e-leather. There are 14 non-executive chair cars and they can seat up to 72 passengers each (3+2) configuration. The coaches have energy-efficient LED lights and digital destination display boards.
As stated earlier, Tejas Express will offer the facility of onboard infotainment - entertainment + passenger information. The 9-inch LCD screens with USB charger and a foldable snack table will ensure that your journey is comfortable and entertaining!
The new train will have two Executive chair cars (in 2+2 configuration). The Executive Chair cars have a seating capacity of 56 passengers.
The Executive Chair car seats have an adjustable head-rest, comfortable arm support and even offer airline-like leg support. The facility of leg support is missing in the non-Executive chair car.
The central table in the Tejas Express will also have infotainment screens ensuring that passengers sitting in the middle don't lose out on this new feature.
In line with the train's overall luxurious feel, the train's toilets have also been given a modern feel. Equipped with soap dispensers, touch-less water taps, odour-control system and occupancy indicators, the toilets in Tejas Express are a step up from the usual chair car trains.
Each chair car has a small pantry unit which is equipped with a boiler that dispenses hot water, a heating chamber, a refrigerating box and a chilling unit. The pantry also has a soup machine.
Yet another airline-like feature in the Tejas Express is that each seat has an attendant call button facility. This call button/bell is integrated with the berth reading light.
The coaches are equipped with CCTV cameras for better security. Additionally, a modern fire and smoke detection system has been installed. The power car has a fire suppression system.
In line with Indian Railways vision to make tracks defecation free, Indian Railways has installed bio-vaccum toilets in Tejas Express. This would also ensure that as against normal toilets that need 10 litres of water per flush, only 1.5 litre of water would be consumed.
The bogie of Tejas coaches have stainless steel discs - this means that the braking system is more efficient and the braking distance is less.
The vinyl-wrapped specially designed exteriors are graffiti proof. The exterior has a bright colour theme of orange and yellow. The colourful exterior is in line with the looks of the new Humsafar and Antyodaya Express. Tejas Express has a dust-proof/sealed inter car gangway.
Tejas Express has a dust-proof/sealed inter car gangway.
More from this section
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM flags off Mahamana Express, inaugurates projects worth over Rs 1000 cr; visits Durga, Tulsi Manas temples
- Delhi rains: Big relief for citizens, showers bring respite from hot, humid weather, temperature plummets
- 5 Indian players who have taken hat-trick in international cricket
- Mahamana Express: 15 facts about ‘luxury’ train connecting PM Modi’s Varanasi to Gujarat’s Vadodara, Surat
- Kim Jong Un calls Trump deranged old man: Here are 5 things to know about North Korea leader’s rebuke of US President