Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport bags world’s number 2 & ‘Best Airport in Central Asia’ awards
In yet another recognition for India's infrastructure, Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport has been adjudged the 'Best Airport in India and Central Asia'! The award has been given by Skytrax at the World Airport Awards. The awards are based on 13.82 million airport survey questionnaires. Not only that, IGI Airport has also been recognised as world's number 2 airport in the over 40 million passengers per annum category by Airport Service Quality Awards 2016. We take a look at some salient facts about Delhi's airport:
IGI Airport is especially famous for its T3 (Terminal 3) which opened in 2010. It is widely acknowledged that the opening of T3 helped transform the Delhi Airport into a world-class facility. A new domestic Terminal 1D was opened in 2009 and help de-congest the domestic traffic.
IGI Airport is the only airport in India to have 3 runways, including South Asia’s longest runway. It is also the only airport in India, as of now, to have high-speed metro connectivity.
The Delhi Airport also boasts of India's largest retail and hospitality area for an aiport - spread across 30,000 sq mt.
The airport offers passenger comforts such as snooze pods, nap-and-shower facility, airline lounges and VIP lounges. The airport also has a transit hotel located within the passenger terminal building.
Flights from Delhi Airport cater to 128 destinations. Out of these 68 are international and 60 are domestic. The airport is served by 11 domestic and 51 foreign carriers.
The airport also boasts of an automated multi-level car parking that can accommodate 4,300 cars.
The Delhi Airport is run by GMR Group-led consortium Delhi International Airport (P) Ltd (DIAL). In the coming months, DIAL will also throw open the newly made T2 (Terminal 2) of the IGI airport.
In 2014, it became the country's first airport to commission a solar power plant. A 2.14 MW plant was commissioned on the airside in January 2014, followed by an enhancement to 7.84 MW.
More from this section
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia 2017 3rd ODI Live Streaming : When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM flags off Mahamana Express, inaugurates projects worth over Rs 1000 cr; visits Durga, Tulsi Manas temples