Outlook founder Editor Vinod Mehta passes away
Vinod Mehta, distinguished Editor and commentator who successfully launched a number of newspapers and magazines, passed away here today after prolonged illness. He was 73.
Caption: Editor in Chief Outlook Vinod Mehta.(File Photo)
Mehta, who was Editorial Chairman of 'Outlook' magazine which he had founded, had been ailing for several months and was hospitalised at AIIMS. He was suffering from severe lung infection and was on life support.
Caption: Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda interacting with Vinod Mehta, Editor, Outlook, during a seminar on `Challenges before media' held at the Press Club. (File Photo)
He died of multiple organ failure, AIIMS spokesperson Amit Gupta said. Mehta, who wrote the best selling autobiography 'Lucknow Boy' in 2011, was a popular face in TV debates. He recently published another book 'Editor Unplugged' but could not attend its launch in December last because of his illness.
Caption: Vinod Mehta, Editor-in Chief of Outlook Group, at his book Launch in New Delhi on Nov. 09, 2011. (File Photo)
Mehta was a dog lover and had adopted a street dog whom he had named 'Editor. The dog often figured in his columns in 'Outlook' magazine. Born in Rawalpindi (now in Pakistan) in 1942, Mehta was known for his bold journalism.
Caption: Vinod Mehta with Sharad Pawar at the Ram Nath Goenka award fuction inthe capital. (File Photo)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled his death."Frank & direct in his opinions, Vinod Mehta will be remembered as a fine journalist & writer. Condolences to his family on his demise," Modi tweeted.
Caption: Vinod Mehta, Editor-in Chief of Outlook Group, at his book Launch in New delhi on Nov. 09, 2011. (File Photo)
Mehta was a distinguished Editor who successfully launched a number of successful publications such as the 'Sunday Observer', 'Indian Post', 'The Independent', 'The Pioneer (Delhi edition) and, finally, 'Outlook'.
Caption: "Vinod Mehta, Editor-in Chief of Outlook Group, at his book Launch in New Delhi on Nov. 09, 2011. Political leader Kamalnath is also seen in the picture. (File Photo)
Mehta was three years old when he migrated to India along with his family after partition. The family settled down in Lucknow where he did his schooling and got BA degree.
Caption: Kabir Bedi, Siddharth Varadarajan, SY Qureshi and Vinod Mehta during the launch of qureshi's book "An Undocumented Wonder: The making of the great indian election" in New Delhi on 25.04.2014. (Express photo by Anil Sharma)
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Gujarat: PM launches Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service; see beautiful photos of ferry
- SEE PICS| What happened when Railways Minister Piyush Goyal paid a surprise visit to Kota Jan Shatabdi Express
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom