In Pics: IAF Jets mark stylish inauguration of Agra-Lucknow Expressway
India's longest, Agra-Lucknow Expressway was inaugurated on Monday, and much to people's surprise, the inauguration ceremony saw participation of IAF (Indian Air Force) jets on India’s longest greenfield expressway.
Three Mirage 2000s and three Sukhois of the IAF made a terrific and spectacular landing on a select stretch of the Agra-Lucknow expressway, made specially for landing of aircrafts.
This was the first time that IAF aircrafts had particitpated in the inauguration of a highway in India.
According to the UPEIDA, the development authority behind the expressway, a 2-km stretch on the Agra-Lucknow Expressway has been built to facilitate landing and take-off of fighter jets in “war-like situations”.
The exercise is aimed at testing the quality of build of the expressway, and would also go in line with Defence Ministry’s plan to use highways and expressways as possible landing and take-off strips.
The Expressway has been designed to speed of up to 120 kms per hour. It will have automatic traffic management systems aimed at reducing road accidents and helping even at the time of fog. The six-lane expressway is expandable to 8-lanes.
The expressway was Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav’s dream project and his major pitch to showcase his government’s focus on development.
UP government claims that 302-km expressway will help cut down the time between Agra and Lucknow to just 3.5 hours, from the current 7 hours.
Moreover, the expressway is expected the reduce the road travel time between Delhi and Lucknow to anywhere between 5 to 6 hours!
Reports suggest that the bridges and underpasses have been made 8-lane to avoid traffic congestion and bottlenecks once the expressway is expanded to 8-lane.
More from this section
- PM Narendra Modi’s Gujarat visit: Kandla port to be linked with Iran’s Chabahar
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugurates projects at Kandla Port; see photos
- TS EAMCET results 2017: Visit eamcet.tsche.ac.in to check your Telangana EAMCET scores now
- CBSE 12th result 2017 likely to be out on May 24: Here’s how to check your marks online
- IPL 2017 Final – Mumbai Indians vs Pune Supergiant: Rohit Sharma puts it across Steve Smith, MS Dhoni by 1 run to lift trophy
- Donald Trump’s first foreign trip after becoming President: Take a look
- IPL 2017: Basil Thampi, Manoj Tiwary to Rahul Tripathi, 5 spectacularly successful players who came cheap
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: Tendulkar meets PM Narendra Modi, gets an inspiring message; check pics
- Goa bridge collapse: Victims watching suicide bid fall into river