In Pics: IAF Jets mark stylish inauguration of Agra-Lucknow Expressway
India's longest, Agra-Lucknow Expressway was inaugurated on Monday, and much to people's surprise, the inauguration ceremony saw participation of IAF (Indian Air Force) jets on India’s longest greenfield expressway.
Three Mirage 2000s and three Sukhois of the IAF made a terrific and spectacular landing on a select stretch of the Agra-Lucknow expressway, made specially for landing of aircrafts.
This was the first time that IAF aircrafts had particitpated in the inauguration of a highway in India.
According to the UPEIDA, the development authority behind the expressway, a 2-km stretch on the Agra-Lucknow Expressway has been built to facilitate landing and take-off of fighter jets in “war-like situations”.
The exercise is aimed at testing the quality of build of the expressway, and would also go in line with Defence Ministry’s plan to use highways and expressways as possible landing and take-off strips.
The Expressway has been designed to speed of up to 120 kms per hour. It will have automatic traffic management systems aimed at reducing road accidents and helping even at the time of fog. The six-lane expressway is expandable to 8-lanes.
The expressway was Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav’s dream project and his major pitch to showcase his government’s focus on development.
UP government claims that 302-km expressway will help cut down the time between Agra and Lucknow to just 3.5 hours, from the current 7 hours.
Moreover, the expressway is expected the reduce the road travel time between Delhi and Lucknow to anywhere between 5 to 6 hours!
Reports suggest that the bridges and underpasses have been made 8-lane to avoid traffic congestion and bottlenecks once the expressway is expanded to 8-lane.
More from this section
- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis visits India, first cabinet-level visit to India from Trump administration, see pics
- Mukesh Ambani tops, but Patanjali chief Acharya Balkrishna with Rs 70,000 cr, D-Mart chief Radhakishan Damani are the real eye-ball grabbers in Hurun rich list
- Rahul Gandhi Gujarat visit: From bullock cart campaign to drinking tea from a bowl, here is what Congress VP did during roadshow
- Kolkata Durga Puja pandal recreates Bahubali’s Mahismati Kingdom; check out stunning images
- Awesome! 22 kg gold saree for Goddess Durga in a London themed Kolkata pandal; take a look at gorgeous images
- President Ramnath Kovind offers prayers at Kedarnath temple, prays for India’s prosperity; see photos
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme