In Pics: IAF Jets mark stylish inauguration of Agra-Lucknow Expressway
India's longest, Agra-Lucknow Expressway was inaugurated on Monday, and much to people's surprise, the inauguration ceremony saw participation of IAF (Indian Air Force) jets on India’s longest greenfield expressway.
Three Mirage 2000s and three Sukhois of the IAF made a terrific and spectacular landing on a select stretch of the Agra-Lucknow expressway, made specially for landing of aircrafts.
This was the first time that IAF aircrafts had particitpated in the inauguration of a highway in India.
According to the UPEIDA, the development authority behind the expressway, a 2-km stretch on the Agra-Lucknow Expressway has been built to facilitate landing and take-off of fighter jets in “war-like situations”.
The exercise is aimed at testing the quality of build of the expressway, and would also go in line with Defence Ministry’s plan to use highways and expressways as possible landing and take-off strips.
The Expressway has been designed to speed of up to 120 kms per hour. It will have automatic traffic management systems aimed at reducing road accidents and helping even at the time of fog. The six-lane expressway is expandable to 8-lanes.
The expressway was Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav’s dream project and his major pitch to showcase his government’s focus on development.
UP government claims that 302-km expressway will help cut down the time between Agra and Lucknow to just 3.5 hours, from the current 7 hours.
Moreover, the expressway is expected the reduce the road travel time between Delhi and Lucknow to anywhere between 5 to 6 hours!
Reports suggest that the bridges and underpasses have been made 8-lane to avoid traffic congestion and bottlenecks once the expressway is expanded to 8-lane.
More from this section
- Mubarakan collection: Anil Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor comedy starts slow despite critical acclaim
- Nawaz Sharif found guilty, sacked as Pakistan PM; check out his long India connection; must see photos
- Photos that say it all: How Nitish Kumar and Narendra Modi split, became friends again
- PLA’s 90th anniversary: China holds exhibition, plans war games to showcase military power; check out images
- UPSC Prelims 2017 Results: Civil Services scores announced, visit upsc.gov.in to check now
- Nitish Kumar swearing in ceremony pics: JDU supremo takes oath as Bihar CM, check out spectacular event
- Apple, Google, Facebook building palaces: Take a look at the billion dollar buildings of the future
- APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi; what you should know
- Make in India: Indian Navy gets first private sector-made warships – Shachi and Shruti offshore patrol vessels