Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- India vs England: Virat Kohli leads team to massive win after Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni special
- UPSC NDA NA Exam (I) 2017: Application open, apply latest by February 10
- Jallikattu ban: From Dhanush, Suriya to Vishal, Kollywood wants Tamil culture to stay intact
- Hot! Deepika Padukone and Vin Diesel on fire in the Late Late Show with James Corden
- Jallikattu protests: Crowds gather to protest Supreme Court ban across Tamil Nadu
- IBPS Exam Calendar 2017-18: All you need to know
- ICAI CA Final and CPT Result 2016 declared: Here are the steps to check results
- Shahrukh Khan fans’ anticipation grows as ‘8 days to Raees’ trends
- Gandhinagar Railway station all set to get a hotel and a swanky makeover! Here’s what it will look like