Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2017: Check out these stunning images of Ganpati idol in making
- 5 reasons why India should not take Sri Lanka lightly despite a whitewash in Test series
- Flood fury in Assam puts wildlife of Kaziranga National Park in peril; see pics
- Japan successfully launches 3rd Michibiki satellite for better GPS system; check out spectacular images
- US-South Korea gears up for war games; take a look on how North Korea might respond
- New Rs 50 note to make entry soon; here is how Rs 50 note changed its look over the years
- 10 years later this is what team Chak De India! is up to now
- Bihar floods lead to massive devastation, thousands affected; see pics
- Apache AH-64E: Indian Army to get world’s “most advanced” multi-role attack helicopter; 6 facts