Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- BMC elections 2017: Anushka Sharma, Ranveer Singh, Varun Dhawan: See which Bollywood celebs voted
- IPL Auction 2017: From Ben Stokes at Rs 14.5 cr to Pat Cummins at Rs 4.5 Cr, cricketers who bagged the top 5 deals
- Farida Jalal death hoax: Here’s why the actress caused a Twitter frenzy
- Social media endorsement fees: At 2nd spot, Kendall Jenner paid $300,000 per tweet, but who is number one?
- From the Crimson Tide, Hunt For Red October, U-571, K-19 to The Ghazi, here are the top submarine movies ever made
- Uttar Pradesh Elections 2017: Akhilesh Yadav’s wife, Dimple Yadav campaigns for Aparna Yadav; Check out pictures
- Aero India 2017: From Sweden’s Gripen to India’s Tejas and France’s Rafale fighters, check out the stunning photos!
- Valentine’s Day 2017 photos: These breathtaking pics from all over the world prove V-Day isn’t just a western festival
- Grammys 2017: Five photos of Adele, Beyonce and Lady Gaga to blow your mind