Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath: Thousands of devotees celebrate across India amid tight security
- Kidambi Srikanth beats Olympic champion Chen Long to Australian Open trophy; best moments in pictures
- Jewar airport Greater Noida: 5 things to know about the new International Airport in Uttar Pradesh
- Tubelight box office collection day 2: Salman Khan, Zhu Zhu starrer earns Rs 21.17 cr ahead of Eid
- ICC Women’s World Cup 2017: Spectacular Mithali Raj innings shatters many records
- Falcon 9 SpaceX rocket successfully launched from Kennedy Space Center
- PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa in Lisbon, gets big hug from him; take a look
- AMAZING! PM Narendra Modi shared these beautiful pictures ahead of his 3-nation tour
- Paris aiming high to boost its bid for 2024 Olympics against Los Angeles