Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- President election result 2017: Celebration begins after Ram Nath Kovind elected as 14th President of India, in pictures
- Presidential election 2017: From Rajendra Prasad to Pranab Mukherjee, here is the list of all Presidents and their achievements
- India’s first bio-methane bus launched by Tata Motors; know about the vehicle that runs on food waste!
- How much do North Korea’s nukes cost? Less than 1 aircraft carrier? Take a look
- Monsoon fury across Delhi NCR; see pics
- Game of Thrones season 7 episode 2 images out; Jon Snow, Littlefinger confrontation on cards
- From Xiaomi Mi Max 2 to Moto E4 Plus: Best smartphones with over 4000 mAh battery
- From Xiaomi Mi Max 2 to OnePlus 5: Top 7 latest smartphones launched in the last month
- USS Gerald R. Ford: US Navy gets world’s most expensive aircraft carrier; 10 facts about the formidable warship