Rustom-II: DRDO’s combat drone, developed on lines of America’s Predator UAV, flies successfully; 5 things to know
Rustom-II: In a boost to 'Make In India' and indigenous defence sector, DRDO's unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Rustom-II, successfully had its maiden flight. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance UAV. The test flight took place from the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga. The new flight test range for manned aircraft and UAVs is 250 km from Bangalore.
The drone, which is combat-capable, can be used as an unmanned armed combat vehicle on the lines of the US's Predator drone. We take a look at why its successful test flight is important for India:
Rustom II: The drone has an endurance of as many as 24 hours. The drone would add greatly to the surveillance and reconnaissance missions of the armed forces.
The Rustom-II drone can carry different combinations of payloads. This includes Medium Range Electro Optic (MREO), Long Range Electro Optic (LREO), Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communication Intelligence (COMINT) and Situational Awareness Payloads (SAP) to perform missions during day and night.
Rustom-II: The drone weighs two tonnes and in the test flight was piloted by both internal and external pilots from the armed forces. According to DRDO, the flight accomplished the main objectives of proving the flying platform, such as take-off, bank, level flight and landing etc.
Rustom-II: Many critical systems of the drone including its airframe, landing gear, flight control and avionics sub-systems are being developed in India with the collaboration of private industries.
Rustom-II will now undergo further trials for validating the design parameters, before going for User Validation Trials.
More from this section
- India vs Australia 2017 Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM flags off Mahamana Express, inaugurates projects worth over Rs 1000 cr; visits Durga, Tulsi Manas temples
- Delhi rains: Big relief for citizens, showers bring respite from hot, humid weather, temperature plummets
- 5 Indian players who have taken hat-trick in international cricket