US-2 amphibian: 8 facts about Japan’s aircraft that Indian Navy and Coast Guard are set to get
India is all set to acquire Japan's US-2i amphibian search and rescue aircraft in a deal that is likely to cost $1.65 billion. India will acquire these aircraft for the Indian Navy and Coast Guard. India is looking to buy anywhere between 12 to 18 US-2. The deal for these aircraft has been stuck for several years now, but is expected to see a breakthrough after the Defence Acquisitions Council clears it.
ShinMaywa, the Japanese maker of the plane, claims that the US-2 is the world's best short takeoff and landing (STOL) amphibian aircraft. We take a look at its salient features:
US-2: ShinMaywa claims that its STOL capabilities allow the US-2 to take off and land in much shorter distances - both on land and on water, compared to commercial airline planes.
According to ShinMaywa, the US-2 requires only one-fourth of the distance that commercial airlines require for takeoff and landing. An additional advantage is that as an amphibian aircraft, the US-2 does not require runway construction, the company says.
Swedish defence major Saab has offered to make single-engine aircraft in India—for the Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier and air defence systems for the armed forces.
The US-2 is a capable plane that is particularly helpful during rescue operations. The US-2 has an approximate operational range of 4,500 km and a cruise speed of 480 km/hr.
ShinMaywa says that the US-2 is the world's only amphibian that is equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device.
The US-2 would also serve to be a good aircraft for ocean surveillance and preservation of remote islands.
The Indian government has been keen on acquiring the ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft from Japan as part of their expanding bilateral strategic partnership, with both nations wary of China’s assertive behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region.
More from this section
- BMC elections 2017: Anushka Sharma, Ranveer Singh, Varun Dhawan: See which Bollywood celebs voted
- IPL Auction 2017: From Ben Stokes at Rs 14.5 cr to Pat Cummins at Rs 4.5 Cr, cricketers who bagged the top 5 deals
- Farida Jalal death hoax: Here’s why the actress caused a Twitter frenzy
- Social media endorsement fees: At 2nd spot, Kendall Jenner paid $300,000 per tweet, but who is number one?
- From the Crimson Tide, Hunt For Red October, U-571, K-19 to The Ghazi, here are the top submarine movies ever made
- Uttar Pradesh Elections 2017: Akhilesh Yadav’s wife, Dimple Yadav campaigns for Aparna Yadav; Check out pictures
- Aero India 2017: From Sweden’s Gripen to India’s Tejas and France’s Rafale fighters, check out the stunning photos!
- Valentine’s Day 2017 photos: These breathtaking pics from all over the world prove V-Day isn’t just a western festival
- Grammys 2017: Five photos of Adele, Beyonce and Lady Gaga to blow your mind