US-2 amphibian: 8 facts about Japan’s aircraft that Indian Navy and Coast Guard are set to get
India is all set to acquire Japan's US-2i amphibian search and rescue aircraft in a deal that is likely to cost $1.65 billion. India will acquire these aircraft for the Indian Navy and Coast Guard. India is looking to buy anywhere between 12 to 18 US-2. The deal for these aircraft has been stuck for several years now, but is expected to see a breakthrough after the Defence Acquisitions Council clears it.
ShinMaywa, the Japanese maker of the plane, claims that the US-2 is the world's best short takeoff and landing (STOL) amphibian aircraft. We take a look at its salient features:
US-2: ShinMaywa claims that its STOL capabilities allow the US-2 to take off and land in much shorter distances - both on land and on water, compared to commercial airline planes.
According to ShinMaywa, the US-2 requires only one-fourth of the distance that commercial airlines require for takeoff and landing. An additional advantage is that as an amphibian aircraft, the US-2 does not require runway construction, the company says.
Swedish defence major Saab has offered to make single-engine aircraft in India—for the Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier and air defence systems for the armed forces.
The US-2 is a capable plane that is particularly helpful during rescue operations. The US-2 has an approximate operational range of 4,500 km and a cruise speed of 480 km/hr.
ShinMaywa says that the US-2 is the world's only amphibian that is equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device.
The US-2 would also serve to be a good aircraft for ocean surveillance and preservation of remote islands.
The Indian government has been keen on acquiring the ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft from Japan as part of their expanding bilateral strategic partnership, with both nations wary of China’s assertive behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region.
More from this section
- From Reliance Jio Lyf Wind 4S Black, Water 7s Black, F1S Black, to Jio Water 8 White, Check out 5 smartphones priced under Rs 10,000; 60 pct discounts on offer too
- Jabra Evolve 75 headset: Here is how to focus in an open office
- Monsoon is around, try these top four apps to stay away from Dengue and Chikungunya
- Take a glimpse of 10 Rajaji Marg – President Pranab Mukherjee’s retirement home
- Top moments of Tour de France; see spectacular images
- LG Q8, price still to be revealed, launched; affordable mini LG V20 variant packs secondary screen
- Greek islands rocked by powerful earthquake, causes severe damage to buildings and port; take a look
- IBPS RRB CWE VI Recruitment 2017: Notification on upcoming exam expected on July 28, here is all you need to know
- Reliance Jio Phone launched, effectively priced zero, with Rs 1500 deposit, here is all you need to know about India Ka Smartphone