US-2 amphibian: 8 facts about Japan’s aircraft that Indian Navy and Coast Guard are set to get
India is all set to acquire Japan's US-2i amphibian search and rescue aircraft in a deal that is likely to cost $1.65 billion. India will acquire these aircraft for the Indian Navy and Coast Guard. India is looking to buy anywhere between 12 to 18 US-2. The deal for these aircraft has been stuck for several years now, but is expected to see a breakthrough after the Defence Acquisitions Council clears it.
ShinMaywa, the Japanese maker of the plane, claims that the US-2 is the world's best short takeoff and landing (STOL) amphibian aircraft. We take a look at its salient features:
US-2: ShinMaywa claims that its STOL capabilities allow the US-2 to take off and land in much shorter distances - both on land and on water, compared to commercial airline planes.
According to ShinMaywa, the US-2 requires only one-fourth of the distance that commercial airlines require for takeoff and landing. An additional advantage is that as an amphibian aircraft, the US-2 does not require runway construction, the company says.
Swedish defence major Saab has offered to make single-engine aircraft in India—for the Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier and air defence systems for the armed forces.
The US-2 is a capable plane that is particularly helpful during rescue operations. The US-2 has an approximate operational range of 4,500 km and a cruise speed of 480 km/hr.
ShinMaywa says that the US-2 is the world's only amphibian that is equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device.
The US-2 would also serve to be a good aircraft for ocean surveillance and preservation of remote islands.
The Indian government has been keen on acquiring the ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft from Japan as part of their expanding bilateral strategic partnership, with both nations wary of China’s assertive behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region.
More from this section
- Kim Jong Un calls Trump deranged old man: Here are 5 things to know about North Korea leader’s rebuke of US President
- Bihar TET Result 2017: Teacher Eligibility Test scores declared at bsebonline.net, biharboard.ac.in; visit official website to check
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Day 1, Top 10 mobiles from Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, with best offers, discounts
- In pics: Rahul Gandhi dares Narendra Modi in US, hopes to create ripples in India
- IBPS PO Preliminary Online Exam 2017 Call Letter now available at ibps.in, visit official website to download now!
- An entire country goes dark: Puerto Rico without power as Hurricane Maria strikes; take a look
- SSC CGL 2017: Candidates find level of test difficult, demand normalisation of scores
- HBSE Open Admit Card 2017 for class 10th, 12th now available at bseh.org.in, visit official website to download
- Swach Bharat Abhiyan! Indian Army carries out cleanliness drive at Siachen, world’s highest battlefield; see pictures