New ‘clean’ hydrogen-powered trains: This is one technology Suresh Prabhu should be interested in
At a time when India looks at ways to deal with its growing pollution problem, this technology may well be an effective solution. Recently, Alstom unveiled a zero-emission train that is powered by hydrogen fuel cell. Called the 'Coradia iLint', Alstom says the train is an alternative to diesel power. Given that Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has spoken extensively of Indian Railways plan for electrification, this is one technology that may interest him. This would also be in line with Modi government's bid to go green!
We take a look at how the train functions and some interior shots:
The trains is powered by an electrical traction drive. Electrical energy is generated on-board in a fuel cell and intermediately stored in batteries.
The fuel cell provides electrical energy by combining hydrogen stored in tanks on-board with oxygen from environmental air.
The battery stores energy from fuel cell when not needed or from kinetic energy of the train during (electrical) braking and allows to support (boost) energy delivery during acceleration phases.
The train will be able to attain a maximum speed of 140 km/h and a comparable acceleration and braking performance to the other Coradia Lint diesel trains.
More from this section
- Social media endorsement fees: At 2nd spot, Kendall Jenner paid $300,000 per tweet, but who is number one?
- From the Crimson Tide, Hunt For Red October, U-571, K-19 to The Ghazi, here are the top submarine movies ever made
- Uttar Pradesh Elections 2017: Akhilesh Yadav’s wife, Dimple Yadav campaigns for Aparna Yadav; Check out pictures
- Aero India 2017: From Sweden’s Gripen to India’s Tejas and France’s Rafale fighters, check out the stunning photos!
- Valentine’s Day 2017 photos: These breathtaking pics from all over the world prove V-Day isn’t just a western festival
- Grammys 2017: Five photos of Adele, Beyonce and Lady Gaga to blow your mind
- World’s heaviest woman weighing 500kg from Egypt lands in Mumbai for surgery
- India vs Bangladesh, Day 2: India’s dominant batting display mastered by Virat Kohli enthralls Hyderabad crowd
- Jolly LLB 2 box office collections: Akshay Kumar vs Hrithik Roshan’s Kaabil and Shahrukh Khan’s Raees