New ‘clean’ hydrogen-powered trains: This is one technology Suresh Prabhu should be interested in
At a time when India looks at ways to deal with its growing pollution problem, this technology may well be an effective solution. Recently, Alstom unveiled a zero-emission train that is powered by hydrogen fuel cell. Called the 'Coradia iLint', Alstom says the train is an alternative to diesel power. Given that Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has spoken extensively of Indian Railways plan for electrification, this is one technology that may interest him. This would also be in line with Modi government's bid to go green!
We take a look at how the train functions and some interior shots:
The trains is powered by an electrical traction drive. Electrical energy is generated on-board in a fuel cell and intermediately stored in batteries.
The fuel cell provides electrical energy by combining hydrogen stored in tanks on-board with oxygen from environmental air.
The battery stores energy from fuel cell when not needed or from kinetic energy of the train during (electrical) braking and allows to support (boost) energy delivery during acceleration phases.
The train will be able to attain a maximum speed of 140 km/h and a comparable acceleration and braking performance to the other Coradia Lint diesel trains.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look