INS Viraat, Indian Navy’s ‘grand old lady’, set to be decommissioned: Why the aircraft carrier was special for India
INS Viraat: The Indian Navy bid an emotional farewell to INS Viraat, said to be the world's oldest aircraft carrier, and one that has served the Navy for over five decades. The ship, which underwent a decommissioning refit, is being towed back by three tugs to Mumbai for the decommissioning ceremony.
INS Viraat will be decommissioned by end of 2016, after 55 years of service, including 27 years with the Royal Navy (British Navy). We take a look at some facts about the INS Viraat:
INS Viraat holds the Guinness Record for being the oldest serving warship. It is a Centaur-Class aircraft carrier.
INS Viraat is a 28,000-tonne warship, that was inducted into the Indian Navy in May 1987. It was commissioned in the British Royal Navy in 1959.
The ship has been stripped of its weapons, propulsion systems, auxiliary and communication equipment and radars at the Cochin Shipyard.
In its 57 years of journey, the aircraft carrier underwent several upgrades and refits. It served in the Royal Navy as HMS Hermes. The ship is commonly referred to as the ‘Grand Old Lady’ among the Naval community.
The ship operated Sea Harrier (White Tigers - fighter air crafts), Seaking 42B (Harpoons - Anti Submarine helicopters) & Seaking 42C (Commando Carrier helicopters) and Chetak (Angles - SAR helicopter) as her main air elements. The Sea Harrier fleet was also recently decommissioned at Goa in May 2016.
According to the Indian Navy, the INS Viraat has spent nearly 2,250 days at sea sailing 5,88,288 NM (10, 94,215 KM). This implies that Viraat has been at sea for over six years covering the entire globe about 27 times.
More than 22, 034 aircraft have taken off from the INS Viraat while it has been under the service of the Indian Navy. (Reuters)
The Indian Navy has reportedly agreed to hand over the INS Viraat to Andhra Pradesh government after its decommissioning. The state government has expressed interest in getting INS Viraat to berth in Vizag for promotion of tourism after its decommissioning.
More from this section
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion to smash all records, earn massive Rs 50 crore on day 1
- Donald Trump’s first 100 days in office as US President
- JEE Mains Result 2017 topper Kalpit Veerval secures unheard of 360/360 score; says ‘I was confident of cracking the exam’
- North Korea conducts biggest ever artillery exercise to mark the 85th anniversary of its military’s creation
- JEE Mains result 2017 declared by CBSE at jeemain.nic.in; check official website for Joint Entrance Examination Score and Rank
- China flexes its military muscle with first indigenous aircraft carrier; know all about it
- Odisha 10th result 2017: HSE results declared, visit bseodisha.nic.in for latest Higher Secondary Certificates and Madhyama exam updates
- Mahamana Express: Images of swanky new coaches will have you saying ‘wow’! Check out what’s new
- CGBSE 10th result 2017 topper list: Check out the list of all the students in the top 10 merit list