Kamov 226T: 5 facts about the light multi-purpose Russian military helicopters for India
India is set to sign the nearly $1 billion deal for Russia's Kamov 226T light utility helicopters. The deal, which is expected to be signed during Russian President Vladmir Putin's India visit this weekend, is expected to have a 'Make in India' angle to it. This is in line with PM Narendra Modi's focus on promoting the Indian defence industry.
The defence deal also comes at a time when India would be looking to assure Russia that despite its growing ties with US, Russia remains India's all-weather friend and ally. We take a look at some interesting facts about the Kamov 226T military helicopters: (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The Kamov 226T is a twin-engine light but multi-role chopper, that Russian Helicopers offers for both military and civilian purposes. The helicopters will replace India's ageing fleet of Cheetah and Chetak. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
Russian Helicopters, which makes the Kamov choppers, says that the military version of 226T is capable of working in extreme and difficult weather conditions. This includes hot climate, marine areas and high mountains. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The Kamov 226T is a light multipurpose helicopter that can be used effectively for reconnaissance, targeting and monitoring of transportation (up to 1,500 kg). (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The chopper can carry up to seven paratroopers of security personnel, says Russian Helicopters. Under the deal, Russia give India 200 Kamov helicopters. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The helicopter has a maximum speed of 250 km/hour and a cruise speed of 220 km/hour. The maximum take off weight of the helicopter is 3,600 kg and it runs on the 2hArrius 2G1, Turbomeca engines. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
More from this section
- Mahamana Express: Images of swanky new coaches will have you saying ‘wow’! Check out what’s new
- CGBSE 10th result 2017 topper list: Check out the list of all the students in the top 10 merit list
- CGBSE 10th result 2017: Chhattisgarh Board result declared on cgbse.net today; here’s how to check result
- JEE Main 2017: Paper-1 answer keys, OMR sheets now available on the official website
- 15 stunning images of Railways’ ‘Vistadome’ glass-roofed train with rotating chairs; Prabhu aims at Europe like experience in India!
- Number of IS fighters killed by US non-nuclear ‘Mother Of All Bombs’ rises. Here’s all you need to know!
- Narendra Modi, Malcolm Turnbull’s day out: From perfect selfies on Delhi Metro to Akshardham buggy, how India, Oz PMs’ bromance blossomed
- Nothing is impossible: Here are the five global infrastructure projects which will soon be a reality!
- Deadly floods in Colombia leave a trail of destruction