Kamov 226T: 5 facts about the light multi-purpose Russian military helicopters for India
India is set to sign the nearly $1 billion deal for Russia's Kamov 226T light utility helicopters. The deal, which is expected to be signed during Russian President Vladmir Putin's India visit this weekend, is expected to have a 'Make in India' angle to it. This is in line with PM Narendra Modi's focus on promoting the Indian defence industry.
The defence deal also comes at a time when India would be looking to assure Russia that despite its growing ties with US, Russia remains India's all-weather friend and ally. We take a look at some interesting facts about the Kamov 226T military helicopters: (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The Kamov 226T is a twin-engine light but multi-role chopper, that Russian Helicopers offers for both military and civilian purposes. The helicopters will replace India's ageing fleet of Cheetah and Chetak. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
Russian Helicopters, which makes the Kamov choppers, says that the military version of 226T is capable of working in extreme and difficult weather conditions. This includes hot climate, marine areas and high mountains. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The Kamov 226T is a light multipurpose helicopter that can be used effectively for reconnaissance, targeting and monitoring of transportation (up to 1,500 kg). (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The chopper can carry up to seven paratroopers of security personnel, says Russian Helicopters. Under the deal, Russia give India 200 Kamov helicopters. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
The helicopter has a maximum speed of 250 km/hour and a cruise speed of 220 km/hour. The maximum take off weight of the helicopter is 3,600 kg and it runs on the 2hArrius 2G1, Turbomeca engines. (Image by Russian Helicopters)
More from this section
- Social media endorsement fees: At 2nd spot, Kendall Jenner paid $300,000 per tweet, but who is number one?
- From the Crimson Tide, Hunt For Red October, U-571, K-19 to The Ghazi, here are the top submarine movies ever made
- Uttar Pradesh Elections 2017: Akhilesh Yadav’s wife, Dimple Yadav campaigns for Aparna Yadav; Check out pictures
- Aero India 2017: From Sweden’s Gripen to India’s Tejas and France’s Rafale fighters, check out the stunning photos!
- Valentine’s Day 2017 photos: These breathtaking pics from all over the world prove V-Day isn’t just a western festival
- Grammys 2017: Five photos of Adele, Beyonce and Lady Gaga to blow your mind
- World’s heaviest woman weighing 500kg from Egypt lands in Mumbai for surgery
- India vs Bangladesh, Day 2: India’s dominant batting display mastered by Virat Kohli enthralls Hyderabad crowd
- Jolly LLB 2 box office collections: Akshay Kumar vs Hrithik Roshan’s Kaabil and Shahrukh Khan’s Raees