How to stop Startups in India from leaving: Check out the Stay-in-India iSPIRT check-list
While startups in India have found success here, many of these ventures have domiciled outside the country. Six of the eight 'unicorns', startups with a valuation of over $1 billion, have domiciled in Singapore and the US during 2015, primarily due to regulatory irritants in India. To ensure that start-ups stay on in the country, iSPIRT, the Indian Software Product Industry Roundtable, has developed a Stay-in-India check-list that has 34 items that cover issues related to RBI and the ministries of finance, corporate affairs and commerce.
The issues that have been raised include favourable intellectual property regime, ease of incorporating and liquidating companies, allowing foreign venture capital investments across sectors, and a harmonised tax rate for both listed and unlisted entities. The idea behind the initiative is to make India a preferred destination for startups.
While close to 60% of the issues are being been sorted out, iSPIRT argues that that is not enough. Even all the contentious issues are resolved, there will be yet another reason for startups to domicile outside India. Unlike in other cases, here the competition is between India and possibly the US and Singapore. Much will depend on what all Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will roll-out to ensure that India is very much the home for startups.
More from this section
- 10 years later this is what team Chak De India! is up to now
- Bihar floods lead to massive devastation, thousands affected; see pics
- Apache AH-64E: Indian Army to get world’s “most advanced” multi-role attack helicopter; 6 facts
- Confederate statues that are in the eye of the storm in US; see pics
- Game of Thrones season 7 episode 6 photos out: Tyrion Lannister and Daenerys Targareyan with dragons! Here are some special eye-ball grabbers
- SEBA Compartment Result 2017: HSLC AHM Class 10 scores declared by board today; Visit result.seba.co.in, sebaonline.org
- 10 Bollywood movies of last decade which had HIGHEST budget in their respective year
- Nokia 8 vs Samsung S8 plus vs HTC U11 vs OnePlus 5: A comparison of design, camera, battery and other specifications
- Mudslide devastates African nation Sierra Leone; see pics