New Volkswagen Cars at the Delhi Auto Expo 2016
At the 13th edition of the Delhi Auto Expo, Volkswagen India unveiled 4 new cars - Ameo, Polo GTI, Passat GTE and Tiguan. The company plans to launch all three products in the next 1 year starting with its sub-compact sedan Volkswagen Ameo that it had unveiled a day before the Auto Expo 2016 during a media event. While the Volkswagen Polo GTI and Passat GTE will be rolled out this year itself, the Volkswagen Tiguan will come next year. (Image Source: PTI)
Volkswagen Ameo sub-compact sedan: The first sub-compact sedan from the German giant, Volkswagen Ameo, made its public debut at the Auto Expo 2016. Set to rival other sub-4 metre sedans including the Maruti Swift Dzire and Honda Amaze, the Volkswagen Ameo is based on the Polo hatchback. The Volkswagen Ameo will be offered with two engine options - 1.2-litre MPI petrol and a 1.5-litre TDI diesel - mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The 1.5-litre TDI diesel engine will also get a 7-speed DSG transmission as an option.
Volkswagen Polo GTI: The 3-door Volkswagen Polo GTI also made its India debut at the Auto Expo 2016. The hot hatch from Volkswagen features a 1.8-litre, four-cylinder, TSI engine that come mated to a 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox. This engine churns out a whopping 190bhp and 250Nm. The same engine also does duty on other Volkswagen group cars including the Audi A3. Upon its launch, the Polo GTI will take head on against the Abarth 595 competizione. The vehicle might come with a 6-speed manual as well.
Volkswagen Tiguan: On the day 2 of the Auto Expo 2016, Volkswagen India showcased its upcoming premium SUV Tiguan. The new-generation Volkswagen Tiguan is based on the company's MQB platform which makes it about 50kg lighter than the old model. The same platform also underpins the Audi TT, Audi A3 and the Golf. The Tiguan is powered by a 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine that belts out 148bhp. Transmitting power to all four wheels is a 6-speed dual clutch automatic gearbox via 4MOTION all-wheel drive system. This premium SUV will be launched next year.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look
- Diwali 2017 celebrations: From Delhi, Gujarat to Karnataka, watch amazing pictures
- Kolkata inferno: Massive fire breaks out at LIC building in City of Joy; Check out pics
- Modi’s Diwali in Kashmir! PM celebrates festival of lights with soldiers in Gurez; see pictures
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman celebrates Diwali with soldiers in Andaman and Nicobar; see pics