OROP implementation to cost Rs 7,500 crore, arrears Rs 10,900 crore; In 8 slides, check out where One Rank One Pension scheme now stands
OROP implementation table: According to calculations made by the government, the annual expenditure on the 'One Rank One Pension' (OROP) scheme has been estimated at around Rs 7,500 crore, the defence ministry said on Wednesday.
OROP notification: "These cases pertain to rulings for jawans, war widows, arrears since 2006, payments for honorary ranks, rounding off of disability pension, and payments of reservists," he said. The veterans' protest at Jantar Mantar entered its 320th day today.
OROP implementation: Expenditure on OROP scheme is set to push the defence budget for pensions, which is estimated to go up from Rs 54,000 crore as per Budget estimates of 2015-16 to around Rs 65,000 crore, the proposed Budget estimate for 2016-17. This is an increase of about 20 percent of the defence pension outlay.
OROP implementation: The statement by the Defence Ministry on OROP scheme said 86 percent of the total expenditure on account of OROP will benefit Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and other ranks.
OROP implementation: The statement added, "The government of India had taken the historic decision to implement OROP scheme in November 2015. This fulfilled the long standing demand of the defence forces personnel after 42 years benefited over 18 lakh ex-servicemen and war widows".
OROP implementation: Payment of arrears and revision of pension under OROP scheme is to be made by the Pension Disbursing Authorities in four instalments, except for family pensioners and pensioners in receipt of gallantry awards who will be paid arrears in one instalment.
OROP implementation: Asked about the new development in implementing OROP scheme, Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement spokesperson Col. Anil Kaul (retd) said it "seemed OK", but they would be studying it and come out with a detailed reaction later.
OROP implementation: "We are still studying OROP scheme implementation. It seems OK... so far it seems to be almost there, except that they are paying out from July (2014) not April," Col. Kaul said.
More from this section
- Nanmoku – Japan’s ‘vanishing village’ looks to Shinzo Abe’s LDP for survival; take a look
- From Ministry of Defence recruitment 2017, Indian Navy recruitment to Maharashtra CET 2018 syllabus; here are exam, jobs updates for you
- Beijing turns into virtual fortress for 19th Congress of Communist Party of China; see pics
- These ‘Make in India’ electric locomotives will herald a new era for Indian Railways; must-see images & facts
- Secret Superstar box office collections prediction vs Judwaa 2 vs Toilet Ek Prem Katha; Aamir Khan to beat all in 2017; know why
- INS Kiltan: Indian Navy’s new ‘Make in India’ anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette packs a potent punch!
- Indian Navy recruitment 2017, Maharashtra CET 2018 to ICAT 2018 Application forms, here are the latest education news
- Sneak Peek at World’s largest airport: Beijing New Airport set to become reality; cost attached unbelievable, but photos fabulous
- Judwaa 2 box office collections vs rest: Varun Dhawan smashes all opposition – blood on BO