Top 10 business news today: Grofers shuts shop in 9 cities, SpiceJet expands network, odd even rule increases Delhi Metro passengers by over 2 lakh, Microsoft to unveil ‘Surface’ tablet, more
1. IT Cos come up with database to make customised routes for car pool: To decongest traffic on Gurgaon roads and check rising pollution, IT companies in association with city police have come up with a "commuters' database" that aims at developing customised routes for car and bus pooling. Several Information Technology (IT) firms have chipped in to prepare the database by providing details on number of employees working with them including their route and shift timings so as to map out cutomised routes to and fro their office, officials said. (Image Source: Reuters)
2. CNG sticker sale limited to one station after irregularities: Around 1,600 motorists were today penalised for violating odd-even norms even as Delhi government claimed the cut in vehicular emission due to the scheme has resulted in "definitive decline" in levels of pollutants in the air across the city. Cracking down on illegal sale of CNG stickers, necessary for getting CNG vehicles exempted from the restrictions, government has decided to limit its sale to only one station of Indraprastha Gas Ltd as against 114 places across Delhi and NCR. (Image Source: Reuters)
3. Over 41 lakh commuters use DTC bus service: Over 41 lakh commuters travelled by Delhi Transport Corporation buses in the national capital on the fourth day of implementation of odd-even car rationing scheme. "A total of 41.63 lakh passengers traveled by the DTC buses yesterday. In the morning, a total of 5,391 buses were put into service for facilitating commuters," said a DTC senior official. The DTC helpline number today received around 1,200 calls of which 1,124 were queries regarding availability of buses while remaining were suggestions and complaints, said the official, adding 25 calls were of suggestions, 57 of complaints, of which 40 were against autorickshaw, nine against buses and one against Gramin Sewa.
4. Online grocer Grofers shuts shop in 9 cities: Gurgaon based online grocery delivery company Grofers has shut down its operations in nine cities including Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Coimbatore, Kochi, Ludhiana, Mysuru, Nashik, Rajkot and Visakhapatnam. Before shutting down operations in these nine cities, the company was operating in 27 cities. Last year in November the company raised $120 million from Japan’s SoftBank Corp, Tiger Global and Sequoia Capital. Grofers reported a net loss of R3.9 crore in FY 15, its first full year of operations, according to a filing with the registrar of companies. During the period, the company's total revenue stood at R86 lakh, of which R73 lakh was the operating revenue.
5. MobiKwik opens its digital wallet access for more retailers: Mobile wallet firm MobiKwik today said that it has opened access to its 'Power Wallet' interface for which a patent approval is in the pipeline. "The scalable interface is easy to integrate across multiple retailer platforms and is an ideal solution for merchants looking for a quick-to-deploy, omni-channel digital payment mechanism," Bipin Preet Singh, Founder and CEO, MobiKwik, said in a statement.
6. Blueshift raises USD 8 million from Storm, Nexus: Marketing automation startup Blueshift today said it has raised USD 8 million in a round of funding led by Storm Ventures. Existing investor Nexus Venture Partners also participated in the infusion, the company said. "Storm Ventures has previously backed many of the leading companies in marketing technology and SaaS (software as a service), and we are thrilled with confidence they have placed in us as we enter our next phase of growth," said Vijay Chittoor, co-founder and Chief Executive of the San Francisco-based startup.
7. Top 100 cos spent Rs 5,240 cr on CSR activities in FY15: Study: Top 100 companies in the country spent Rs 5,240 crore on CSR activities in last financial year, and is expected to spend an additional Rs 8,500 crore (rpt) Rs 8,500 crore during the current fiscal, says a study. CSR spending during FY13 by these companies stood at Rs 3,000 crore, as per the study conducted by proxy advisory firm IiAS. According to Companies Act, 2013 firms above a certain financial threshold are required to spend at least 2 per cent of their average net profits of the preceding three years on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). (Image Source: Reuters)
8. SpiceJet expands network, adds 10 more frequencies: Low-cost airline SpiceJet today announced network expansion and flight frequencies on 10 routes, including extra services on the Delhi-Kabul sector. In a statement here, the second largest budget carrier said it will add 10 new daily frequencies on its domestic network on some popular routes like Chennai-Kochi (fourth direct flight), Bangalore-Vijayawada (second direct flight) and Hyderabad-Vijayawada (second direct flight) among others. (Image Source: Reuters)
9. Microsoft to unveil 'Surface' tablet in India on Jan 7: Technology giant Microsoft will finally launch its Surface range of tablets in India later this week. Microsoft is all set to bring its 'Surface Pro 4' tablet to India on January seven. This is the first time that the US-based company will officially make Surface available in the Indian market. In November last year, Satya Nadella, the India-born chief of Microsoft, had announced that the company will bring the device to India soon.
10. Odd-Even: 2 lakh more passengers take Metro on first Monday: Delhi Metro's ridership went up by two lakh yesterday, the first full-fledged working day since the odd-even scheme for movement of vehicles came into force in the national capital, even as DMRC officials said the train service has previously witnessed larger riderships. Although at 28,19,657 yesterday, the figure was a good two lakh above the average daily ridership of 26 lakh, metro officials say it was nothing unusual as every first working day of the week sees such large passenger volume. (Image Source: Reuters)
More from this section
- What is Tiranga Yatra? Know about PM Narendra Modi’s initiative for New India
- Not able to travel US to experience Total Solar Eclipse? Here are 5 apps to watch it on August 21
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A coming on Monday! Here are expected release date in India, specification, and price
- Puri Haridwar Kalinga Utkal Express derails near Muzaffarnagar, disturbing images emerge
- World Photography Day 2017: Here are five ways to celebrate on Facebook; see pics
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2017: Check out these stunning images of Ganpati idol in making
- 5 reasons why India should not take Sri Lanka lightly despite a whitewash in Test series
- Flood fury in Assam puts wildlife of Kaziranga National Park in peril; see pics
- Japan successfully launches 3rd Michibiki satellite for better GPS system; check out spectacular images