Narendra Modi on Smart Cities: Top 5 things to know
Terming rapid urbanisation as a challenge and critical for sustainability, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday said smart cities would make the cities networked to become efficient, safe and better in delivery of services - he was speaking at the 103rd Indian Science Congress being held in the University of Mysore. Here are top 5 things PM Narendra Modi mentioned in speech:
Narendra Modi: "For the first time in human history, we are in an urban century. By 2050, two-thirds of the world's population will live in cities and three billion people will join 3.5 billion dwellers, with 90 percent of the increase from developing countries."
Narendra Modi: "The country would have over 10 percent of the global urban population by 2025 and 50 percent of its people in urban habitats by 2050. We need your inputs (scientists) to make our cities immune to consequences of natural disasters and homes resilient. This will also mean making retrofit of buildings affordable."
2. PM Narendra Modi also took strong exception to people's complaints and grievances related to the customs and excise sector and directed strict action against the officials responsible.
Narendra Modi: "As cities are major engines of economic growth, employment opportunities and prosperity, they have to be sustained to become locomotives of our economies and havens of healthy living."
Narendra Modi: "Though we need sound policies to achieve our goals, we will rely on science and technology to provide creative solutions. We have to also develop better scientific tools to improve city planning with sensitivity to local ecology and heritage and reduce demand for transportation, improve mobility and reduce congestion."
More from this section
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Wonder-struck, millions watch total eclipse as moon blanks out sun, rings in darkness in middle of morning; watch photos
- Chandigarh flood: Heavy rain overwhelms city infra, causes 3-km long traffic jams; waist high water in many areas
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau attends India Day parade in Montreal; see pics
- London’s iconic Big Ben to go silent for repairs until 2021; see pics
- US warship USS John S McCain involved in collision near Singapore, see pics
- What is Tiranga Yatra? Know about PM Narendra Modi’s initiative for New India
- Not able to travel US to experience Total Solar Eclipse? Here are 5 apps to watch it on August 21
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A coming on Monday! Here are expected release date in India, specification, and price
- Puri Haridwar Kalinga Utkal Express derails near Muzaffarnagar, disturbing images emerge