Narendra Modi on Smart Cities: Top 5 things to know
Terming rapid urbanisation as a challenge and critical for sustainability, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday said smart cities would make the cities networked to become efficient, safe and better in delivery of services - he was speaking at the 103rd Indian Science Congress being held in the University of Mysore. Here are top 5 things PM Narendra Modi mentioned in speech:
Narendra Modi: "For the first time in human history, we are in an urban century. By 2050, two-thirds of the world's population will live in cities and three billion people will join 3.5 billion dwellers, with 90 percent of the increase from developing countries."
Narendra Modi: "The country would have over 10 percent of the global urban population by 2025 and 50 percent of its people in urban habitats by 2050. We need your inputs (scientists) to make our cities immune to consequences of natural disasters and homes resilient. This will also mean making retrofit of buildings affordable."
2. PM Narendra Modi also took strong exception to people's complaints and grievances related to the customs and excise sector and directed strict action against the officials responsible.
Narendra Modi: "As cities are major engines of economic growth, employment opportunities and prosperity, they have to be sustained to become locomotives of our economies and havens of healthy living."
Narendra Modi: "Though we need sound policies to achieve our goals, we will rely on science and technology to provide creative solutions. We have to also develop better scientific tools to improve city planning with sensitivity to local ecology and heritage and reduce demand for transportation, improve mobility and reduce congestion."
More from this section
- Kolkata Durga Puja pandal recreates Bahubali’s Mahismati Kingdom; check out stunning images
- Awesome! 22 kg gold saree for Goddess Durga in a London themed Kolkata pandal; take a look at gorgeous images
- President Ramnath Kovind offers prayers at Kedarnath temple, prays for India’s prosperity; see photos
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images