Reliance Jio 4G: Shah Rukh Khan sets tone for launch of Mukesh Ambani’s pet project
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries on Sunday soft-launched its 4G mobile services via its subsidiary Reliance Jio Infocomm. The nationwide launch, on the eve of the 83rd birth anniversary of Dhirubhai Ambani was attended by Shah Rukh Khan, RIL group's 35,000 employees and their families at the Reliance Corporate Park in Navi Mumbai, had around 80,000 more tuned in to the event from 1,000-plus locations across the country and one in Dallas, Texas in the US. “India is ranked around 150 in internet and mobile broadband penetration out of 230 countries, Jio is conceived to change this… 1.3 billion Indians cannot be left behind as the world enters a new era. I have no doubt that with the launch of Jio, India’s rank will go up from around 150 to among the top 10 in the next few years for internet and mobile broadband penetration,” Mukesh Ambani said.
1. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The soft launch, which is for the group’s employees, saw performances by Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan, who’s also the brand ambassador for Jio.
2. Reliance Jio 4G launch: This comes almost 13 years after Reliance Industries first made a big splash by foraying into the telecom space with its CDMA services. Reliance Jio was supposed to roll out services by December-end, however, in the first phase 4G services will be made available only for its employees.
3. Reliance Jio 4G launch: Reliance is reported to be planning offers such as free subscriptions till the commercial roll out takes place, and heavy discounts on handsets. RIL CMD Mukesh Ambani in June had said that beta programme (trials) of Reliance Jio “will be upgraded into commercial operations around December of this (2015) year” and “financial year 2016-17 will be the first full year of commercial operations for Jio”.
4. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The company holds the highest amount of liberalised spectrum among telecom operators that can be used for deploying any technology for mobile services. It has 2300MHz spectrum across the country and 800MHz or 1800MHz or both in 20 out of total 22 circles in the country. The company plans to use this spectrum to provide 4G services using Long Term Evolution.
5. Reliance Jio 4G launch: The strategy behind having a soft launch for employees before a full-fledged commercial one is that “the last and the slightest wrinkle would be smoothed out to perfection before the all-India commercial services.
6. Reliance Jio 4G launch: Unlike the 2002 launch, when younger brother Anil Ambani had not showed up, this time he was present with wife Tina Ambani and sons Jai Anmol and Jai Anshul. Dhirubhai’s wife Kokilaben was also present.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia 2017 Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM flags off Mahamana Express, inaugurates projects worth over Rs 1000 cr; visits Durga, Tulsi Manas temples
- Delhi rains: Big relief for citizens, showers bring respite from hot, humid weather, temperature plummets