7th Pay Commission on pay, pension: Here’s who gains the most at 23.63%
7th Pay Commission on pay and pension: Once the recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission are implemented, the biggest gainers will be pensioners. While the 7th Pay Commission pay scale increase of serving employees is 16%, pensioners will see a 23.63% rise. However, the big gain per se is in allowances, which rise by as much as 63%.
Here we will elaborate on the 7th Pay Commission pension recommendations:
Going by the numbers, pension payments could well be the next time-bomb. Based on the 7th Pay Commission data, already pension payments account for a third of the government’s wage bill. That is going to rise sharply over the next 10 years. It is driven by the fact that 9.48 lakh employees accounting for 29% of the 30.32 lakh employees on the rolls now are in the 50-60-year band. By this time in 10 years, that means the government will need to pay for an additional million pensioners. So, the pension bill will continue to rise – with better health, most people live almost 20 years after retirement.
The Urban Development Ministry will see the sharpest fall (61.3%) followed by the Department of Posts (41.6%). However, the Indian Railways will account for half of the retirees (4.94 lakh). Despite the 37.5% fall in employees, the Indian Railways will still have 9.22 lakh employees if no new ones are hired.
This is also due to the fact that there has been no real move to reduce the government employee base over the years. While there are 33 lakh employees now it was 32.74 lakh in 2006 and 32.31 lakh in 2010. The only relief from the pension bomb will come when those employed after 2004 come to retirement age. These people are covered under the National Pension Scheme where the pensions they receive will depend on the payout they make while being employed. However, these employees will reach the retirement age a good 30 years from now. Check out: 7th Pay Commission on pay and pension
More from this section
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia 2017 3rd ODI Live Streaming : When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM flags off Mahamana Express, inaugurates projects worth over Rs 1000 cr; visits Durga, Tulsi Manas temples
- Delhi rains: Big relief for citizens, showers bring respite from hot, humid weather, temperature plummets