Top 10 news (business) today: Chennai floods, Ola supports AAP’s odd and even formula, Zomato-Burger King expand in Indian Market, more
1. Jet Airways partners with NGO to provide relief during Chennai floods
Private carrier Jet Airways today said it has partnered with the Indian arm of global NGO ActionAid to provide relief to the flood-affected people of Chennai and Thiruvallur district in Tamil Nadu. In the long-term, the partnership will focus on rehabilitation including recovery and development of livelihoods, reconstruction and repair of damaged houses of over 2,000 people, Jet Airways said in a release. (Image Source: AP)
2. AAP govt's odd, even formula in Delhi gets Ola thumbs up
With the Delhi government proposing 'odd-even' restrictions for plying of private vehicles in the city, taxi hailing app Ola today said it supports the initiative to make the national capital clean and green. "Ola is committed to the creation of a clean and green Delhi. Through sustainable transportation initiatives like pioneering CNG adoption in the state, introduction of a wide range of options like cabs, autos, shuttle and more on the Ola app for consumers and lowest ETAs anywhere in the state, we strive to take away the need to own a car for millions of our consumers," the company said in a statement.
3. Genpact may hire over 10,000 people by end-2016
BPO services provider Genpact may recruit over 10,000 people by the end of next year, a senior official of the company said today. "It (the hiring) will be in excess of 10,000 in India next year, of which 3,000 will be in Hyderabad alone. In the past few years, the hiring has been more or less in the same range," Genpact vice-president and head (financial services analytics) Amit Bhaskar said on the sidelines of an event here. (Image Source: Reuters)
4. DRL inks pact with LSSSDC, VIPER to train manpower
Dr Reddy's Laboratories (DRL) has signed a pact with the Life Sciences Sector Skill Development Council (LSSSDC) and Vishnu Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (VIPER) to develop a pool of skilled manpower in the sector. The partnership is aimed at fostering the market research collaboration between LSSSDC and industry partners that in turn will help align educational courses to industry requirements, Dr Reddy's said. Commenting on the development, Dr Reddy's Laboratories Chairman Satish Reddy said: "Our collaboration with LSSSDC and VIPER will go a long way in developing the right talent pool of skills, in line with future needs of the Indian industry." (Image Source: Reuters)
5. Govt on overdrive to make 'odd-even' formula a success
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today recorded an audio message urging people to give the 'odd-even' restriction on plying of vehicles a chance while top officials met to work out its modalities even as the Delhi Police said that they have not yet been approached by the government seeking assistance in enforcement of the rule. Delhi Home Minister Satyender Jain, however, asserted that police is a part of government and "not the government". It is police's responsibility to implement the law enacted by the government, he said (Image Source: PTI)
6. NASSCOM, IBM launch Delhi edition of Techstartup.in
In order to accelerate digital transformation at the start-up level, IT industry body Nasscom in partnership with IBM today launched Techstartup.in on IBM Cloud in Delhi today. IBM today launched Techstartup.in on IBM Cloud in Delhi today. Techstartup.in was first launched in Bengaluru in October 2015. The new localised Delhi version of the site is designed to help stimulate innovation in Delhi while spurring growth within the entire Indian start-up economy, Nasscom said in a statement. Techstartup.in is networking platform to stimulate local innovation and grow the economy.
7. ObiWorldphone becomes team sponsor of 'UAE Royals' team
Smartphone maker Obi Worldphone today said it has become the team sponsor of UAE Royals at the International Premier Tennis League (IPTL), the first city-based professional tennis league in the world. The Obi UAE Royals is the Dubai-based IPTL franchise that is co-owned by India's current test cricket captain Virat Kohli and UAE businessmen Neelesh Bhatnagar and Sachin Gadoya.
Image caption: Obi UAE Royals player Kristina Mladenovic of France returns the ball against the Micromax Indian Aces' players Rohan Bopanna and Sania Mirza during their mixed doubles match in the International Premier Tennis League in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines (Reuters)
8. Zomato, Burger King enter into partnership for Indian market
Online restaurant guide and food ordering firm Zomato has entered into a partnership with global fast food firm Burger King to enable customers in India to order online from the latter's restaurants. The partnership will enable Burger King to serve customers in Delhi-NCR, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Pune using Zomato's online ordering services, and more cities will be added shortly, Zomato said in a statement. (Image Source: Reuters)
9. Leaf Wearables raises $250,000
Leaf Wearables, a start-up run by students of IIT-Delhi and Delhi Technological University, today said it has raised a seed funding of USD 250,000 (about Rs 1.66 crore) from various angel investors. The funding will be used to grow Leaf Wearables' product SAFER, a smart safety wearable device, which focusses on addressing safety concerns, especially among women.
10. Jugnoo partners PNB, Piaggio
Jugnoo, an auto aggregator app, today said it has partnered Punjab National Bank and Piaggio to offer schemes to allow applicants to secure financing for new auto rickshaws in a easy and swift manner. The new financing offer will be rolled out in Chandigarh, Jaipur, Gurgaon and Indore in the first phase, Jugnoo said in a statement.
More from this section
- Rahul Gandhi Gujarat visit: From bullock cart campaign to drinking tea from a bowl, here is what Congress VP did during roadshow
- Kolkata Durga Puja pandal recreates Bahubali’s Mahismati Kingdom; check out stunning images
- Awesome! 22 kg gold saree for Goddess Durga in a London themed Kolkata pandal; take a look at gorgeous images
- President Ramnath Kovind offers prayers at Kedarnath temple, prays for India’s prosperity; see photos
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes