7th Pay Commission, Nitish Kumar’s Bihar CM swearing ceremony, Time’s ‘Person of the Year’, more
The 7th Pay Commission report, if implemented, could inflate the Centre’s salary and pension bill by close to a quarter or slightly over Rs 1 lakh crore in FY17, in what could be a big consumption stimulus but one that could undermine the government’s ability to step up public spending given the stiff fiscal deficit target of 3.5% of GDP for the year.
Nitish Kumar is set to take over as Bihar's Chief Minister for the third straight term today.
Coal India is "well on way of achieving 550 million tonne coal production target" for the current fiscal and has crossed the 300-MT output mark this week, informed Coal Secretary Anil Swarup.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and Google's India-born CEO Sundar Pichai are among over 50 global leaders, business chiefs and pop icons named as contenders by Time magazine for its annual 'Person of the Year' honour.
Global Terrorism Index 2015
On the back of stronger representation of women in political leadership, India has improved its ranking to 108th position among 145 countries in the global gender gap index prepared by the World Economic Forum.
Snapping its two-day losing streak, gold prices recovered from four-month low by gaining Rs 155 to Rs 25,780 per 10 grams at the bullion market on Thursday, tracking a firm trend overseas along with fresh buying by jewellers. Silver also inched up by Rs 100 to Rs 34,200 per kg on scattered enquiries from industrial units and coin makers.
Snapping its two-day losing streak against the American currency, the rupee recovered by 12 paise to close at 66.18 per dollar on fresh selling of greenback by banks and exporters amid recovery in the equity market.
Marking a spectacular recovery from two-month lows, the benchmark BSE Sensex on Thursday vaulted over 359 points -- its biggest single-day gain in nearly seven weeks -- tracking strong Asian markets on expectations that the US Fed would proceed with caution on more tightening.
More from this section
- Hurricane Maria pummels Dominica, barrels toward US Virgin Islands; see pictures
- Heavy artillery on display as Russia, Belarus go all guns at Zapad wargame 2017; see pics
- Kolkata welcomes Durga Puja with kilometre long Alpona; see stunning photos
- Hyderabad Metro rail to begin services from November! Check out 10 cool facts and images
- Shubho Mahalaya! Bengalis gear up for Durga Pujo; see pics
- Russia’s biggest war games since 2013 that have rattled the West
- Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphones now available with this massive price cut, cashback offer too
- CEE Kerala declares allotment result 2017 for LLB course; check cee.kerala.gov.in for latest update
- JNU Admission 2018: Registration open on official website at jnu.ac.in, apply latest by October 31