Exports drop 17.5 pct in October, Inflation at (-)3.81%, Gold imports plunge 59.5 per cent to $1.70 bn, Sensex today, more
Contracting for the 11th month in a row, India's merchandise exports fell 17.53 per cent in October to USD 21.35 billion, mainly due to a steep fall in shipments of petroleum products, iron ore and engineering, amid a broader demand slowdown.
Deflationary pressure eased a bit with inflation rate moving up slightly to (-)3.81 per cent in October as pulses, vegetables and onion turning costlier.
The Wholesale Price Index-based inflation was (-)4.54 per cent in September. In October last year, it was 1.66 per cent.
Gold imports plunge 59.5 per cent to USD 1.70 billion in October.
The rupee today continued its upward march against the US dollar for the third day, firming up by another 10 paise to 66.00 on fag-end selling of the American currency by banks and exporters on the back of lower greenback in the overseas market.
Investors pumped in Rs 1.35 lakh crore into various mutual fund (MF) schemes in October, with 'liquid' segment contributing the most to the inflow.
Petrol prices across India after levy of taxes and excise duties.
Market today recovered from two-month lows as the benchmark BSE Sensex rose by 149.57 points to 25,760.10 on value-buying in recently beaten-down blue-chips as domestic investors shrugged off weak global cues.
Besides, the broad-based NSE Nifty reclaimed the 7,800- level to hit a high of 7,838.85 before settling at higher 7,806.60, 44.35 points or 0.57 per cent.
Riding on rebound in global market and fresh buying by jewellers at the domestic market, gold regained the Rs 26,000-mark by rising Rs 235 to Rs 26,150 per ten grams, snapping its two-day falling streak at the bullion market today. Silver also recovered by Rs 300 to Rs 34,600 per kg on pickup in demand from industrial units and coin makers.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Gujarat: PM launches Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service; see beautiful photos of ferry
- SEE PICS| What happened when Railways Minister Piyush Goyal paid a surprise visit to Kota Jan Shatabdi Express
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom