Top 10 business news today: Air India ‘Diwali Dhamaka’ offer prices tickets at Rs 1,777, PM Modi to launch India gold coin, buy a home on Snapdeal, more
1. New Air India 'Diwali Dhamaka' offer cuts ticket prices to Rs 1,777 National carrier Air India today announced sale of tickets starting from Rs 1,777 on its domestic network till November 7. The offer would be valid on the carrier's domestic flights, including domestic leg of the international flights. "Under this offer, available from November 3-7, Air India flyers get to book and travel at low fares starting at Rs 1,777 (all inclusive) on its domestic network," the airline said in a statement. It would be applicable for travel period starting from January 15 to April 15, 2016. "Diwali Dhamaka is the latest promotional offer by Air India in the recent string of passenger-friendly schemes," the statement said.
2. PM Narendra Modi to launch 'India gold coin', other schemes on Nov 5 In order to cash in on festival euphoria, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the first ever 'India gold coin' bearing Ashok Chakra and other three gold related schemes on Thursday. The other two are Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) and Gold Sovereign Bond Scheme. "Initially, the coins will be available in denominations of 5 and 10 grams. A 20 gram bar or bullion will also be available," a Finance Ministry statement said. About 15,000 coins of 5gm, 20,000 coins of 10 gm and 3,750 gold bullions will be made available through MMTC outlets, it said. (Image Source: Reuters)
3. Diwali bonanza : Buy a home on Snapdeal! Online marketplace Snapdeal today launched a home shopping festival offering discounts on purchase of flats in over 200 projects across major cities. The online 'Diwali Home Buying Fest' would be organised from November 3-9. "Customers can avail exclusive festive offers at Snapdeal's Diwali Home Buying Fest like price saving deals of up to Rs 500 off per sq ft on base selling price. Further, there are deals like jewellery worth Rs 1 lakh, waiver of car park reservation charges, free Modular Kitchen and ACs in bedrooms on offer," Snapdeal said in a statement. Customers can avail offers on purchase of property from over 200 realty projects from developers like Godrej Properties, Brigade, Mahindra Lifespaces, IREO, Artha, Ramky Estates, Central park, Sunteck Realty, Rustomjee, Lavasa Corporation, Nirmal lifestyle, Ajnara, Mahagun among others. (Image Source: Thinkstock)
Ratan Tata quotes: The chairman emeritus of Tata Group in a forthright manner has succinctly summarised the prevalent situation in the country and said that India suffers from an 'inherently unequal' environment and divisions have been created for political reasons on the basis of caste, religion and communal groups - he said this in an interview to Tata Review, the business conglomerate's internal publication. Ratan Tata, 78, made these comments amid raging debate over perceived 'intolerance' in the country and about the priority issues that he thinks India should address. Here are top 5 Ratan Tata quotes to note (Reuters):
5. Truecaller brings Caller ID in Hindi Truecaller today launched a new feature to allow users to identify their callers in the Hindi font. "We decided to innovate beyond translation of the app to a dynamic scenario of transliteration to help users identify the caller in Hindi. We realised the importance and relevance of being able to fully explore the potential of our app for the non-English speaking set of users," Truecaller India Country Manager Kari Krishnamurthy said. Truecaller recently registered 100 million users in India.
"This is a historical moment," Xi Jinping said addressing the ceremony of the bank, which along with the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) is expected to expand infrastructure financing, rivalling the World Bank and Asian Development Bank. (Reuters)
7. Ola inks pact with Nissan to lease cars to driver partners Taxi aggregator Ola today said it has signed an agreement with Nissan Motor India to procure cars for lending them to new drivers. In September, Ola had set up a separate unit -- Ola Fleet Technology. It had announced an initial investment of Rs 500 crore to buy cars and lease them to new drivers as it looks to expand its driver network and compete head-on with rival Uber. The programme has a dedicated capital of over Rs 5,000 crore that will be infused for scaling up the leasing programme in 2016. "Ola had recently rolled out a cab-leasing programme for driver-partners for which cars will now be purchased from both Nissan and Datsun brands," Ola said in a statement.
8. India leads global consumer confidence index' Nielsen India continues to lead the global consumer confidence index in the third quarter of this year, followed closely by the US and much ahead of China, a global report said today. Nielsen, a global information and insights provider, in its latest report said in the third quarter of this year, India's consumer confidence score was at 131 followed by the US (119), Philippines (117) and Indonesia (116). The US showed the biggest quarterly improvement of 18 points, and Taiwan showed the biggest quarterly decline of 12 points from the second quarter. South Korea reported the lowest score of 49, an increase of four points from the second quarter. India's score remained at 131, while confidence decreased one point in China (106) and three points in Japan (80). (Image Source: AP)
10. Standard Chartered axes 15,000 jobs, raises $5.1 bn in capital Asia-focused British bank Standard Chartered said today it would axe 15,000 jobs and raise USD 5.1 billion in capital after posting a "disappointing" third-quarter loss as it struggles to return to growth. The job losses are part of a major restructuring that will cost around USD 3 billion, the bank said. A Standard Chartered spokeswoman said she could not give any further details of the job cuts. More than half of the restructuring costs would come from potential losses on liquidating assets and businesses, the bank said in a statement. The remaining charges would be from "potential redundancy costs" of a planned headcount reduction of 15,000, as well as goodwill write-downs, it added. (Image Source: Reuters)
More from this section
- Rahul Gandhi Gujarat visit: From bullock cart campaign to drinking tea from a bowl, here is what Congress VP did during roadshow
- Kolkata Durga Puja pandal recreates Bahubali’s Mahismati Kingdom; check out stunning images
- Awesome! 22 kg gold saree for Goddess Durga in a London themed Kolkata pandal; take a look at gorgeous images
- President Ramnath Kovind offers prayers at Kedarnath temple, prays for India’s prosperity; see photos
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes