Sensex, Muslims population up by 24.6%, Hindus 16.8%, Indian rupee vs US dollar, PM Modi on call drops, more
The key benchmark indices BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty snapped a three-day losing streak on Tuesday on the back of stability in global currencies and an announcement by the government that it was considering reconvening Parliament to make another attempt to pass the goods and services tax (GST).
Muslims recorded a decadal growth rate of 24.6 per cent between 2001 and 2011 touching 17.22 crores while the Hindus grew at 16.8 per cent to clock a population of 96.63 crores during the same period.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asked officials to address the issue of "call drops" on an urgent basis, saying it directly impacts the common man.
The top gainers on the Sensex were Vedanta up by 5.92 per cent, NTPC up by 5.57 per cent, ICICI Bank up by 4.85 per cent, Tata Motors up by 4.65 per cent and Coal India up by 3.97 per cent. On the flip side, HDFC down by 1.82 per cent, Maruti Suzuki down by 1.42 per cent, Larsen & Toubro down by 1.15 per cent, BHEL down by 0.98 per cent and Bajaj Auto down by 0.93 per cent were the top losers.
Regaining its strength, the rupee appreciated by 55 paise on Tuesday - its biggest single-day gain in over seven months -- to close at 66.10 against the US dollar on heavy selling of greenback by exporters and banks.
Amid a weakening global trend, gold futures traded lower by Rs 186 at Rs 27,262 per 10 gm today as speculators trimmed their positions.
More from this section
- Bihar TET Result 2017: Teacher Eligibility Test scores declared at bsebonline.net, biharboard.ac.in; visit official website to check
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Day 1, Top 10 mobiles from Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, with best offers, discounts
- In pics: Rahul Gandhi dares Narendra Modi in US, hopes to create ripples in India
- IBPS PO Preliminary Online Exam 2017 Call Letter now available at ibps.in, visit official website to download now!
- An entire country goes dark: Puerto Rico without power as Hurricane Maria strikes; take a look
- SSC CGL 2017: Candidates find level of test difficult, demand normalisation of scores
- HBSE Open Admit Card 2017 for class 10th, 12th now available at bseh.org.in, visit official website to download
- Swach Bharat Abhiyan! Indian Army carries out cleanliness drive at Siachen, world’s highest battlefield; see pictures
- India’s big diplomacy push in Middle East! Indian submarine, warships & reconnaissance aircraft on deployment