Core sector performance, Sun TV, BSE Sensex, Yakub Memon row, Gold rate today, more
Performance of 8 core industries.
The stock market today continued its rally for the third straight day as the benchmark BSE Sensex surged by 409.21 points to 28,114.56 led by gains in banking stocks after the government announced plans to infuse fresh capital into state-run lenders by September.
Boosted by the news, NSE Nifty regained the 8,500-mark to close at 8,532.85, showing a rise of 111.05 points or 1.32 per cent. It logged an intra-day high of 8,548.95.
Snapping its three-day losing streak, gold prices edged up by Rs 10 to Rs 25,100 per ten grams at the bullion market today on fresh buying by jewellers at prevailing levels even as the metal weakened overseas. Silver, however, remained under selling pressure and shed Rs 50 at Rs 34,000 per kg.
Sun TV today reported a 19.10 per cent increase in net profit at Rs 197.28 crore for the first quarter ended June 30, 2015.
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals today reported 5.09 per cent decline in its net profit at Rs 93.28 crore for the first quarter ended June 30, hit by supply constraints.
Turnover of commodity exchange.
1993 serial blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging have stoked several controversy. A cartoon by Rohnit Phore.
Private sector lender ICICI Bank today reported a 12.08 per cent growth in net profit at Rs 2,976.16 crore, its record quarterly profit, for the quarter ended June despite increase in stress on asset quality.
The rupee slipped further by 9 paise to end at 64.13 against the US dollar on sustained demand for the American currency from banks and importers despite weak overseas sentiment.
Per Capita net state domestic product.
More from this section
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes
- Delhi drenched in rain, overnight showers to keep weekend pleasant; check out images
- 10 Bollywood movies you didn’t know were selected for Oscars from India
- Narendra Modi Varanasi visit: PM lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan; see pictures
- After PM Narendra Modi flags off Mahamana Express, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal takes a ride on the train, interacts with passengers