From Samsung Galaxy S5, Google Nexus 5 to Asus Zenfone 5: 5 great deals on Android smartphones
When a company launches a phone, it typically prices it a little higher than what it’s worth. If you’re willing to wait, you can get it for cheaper. But every once in a while, a smartphone’s price drops drastically from its original, making it a fantastic deal. Right now is a good time to be in the market for a new phone because you can get some fantastic flagships for a discounted price.
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Price Rs 22,999)It has been over a year since the Samsung Galaxy S5 debuted in India, and it has already dropped more than 50%. Our original review found that its pros outweighed its cons, and especially the cool features it comes with. You get a fingerprint scanner so that passwords are easier; you get a water-resistant body; and you get one of the finest cameras on a smartphone. At Rs 23,000, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is a no-brainer purchase for anyone who wants a phone in that price range. In fact, if you planned to buy something below Rs 20,000, we would suggest raising your budget to Rs 23,000 instead and getting the S5.
Google Nexus 5 (Price Rs 19,000)Recently, the Google Nexus 6 got a R10,000 price cut, but what excites us more is the Nexus 5. Apart from the pure Google experience, the Nexus 5 offers the right balance in what you would look for from a smartphone—good screen, good camera, good battery life, good looks. Nothing is stellar, everything is good, and it just works. Plus, you'll get updates to the new version of Android. In fact, the Nexus 5 is perfect to switch from BlackBerry to Android.
Lenovo Vibe X2 (Price Rs 16,395)When it launched, the Lenovo Vibe X2 got our vote for the best smartphone below R20,000. With a price tag closer to Rs 15,000 now, you’d be a fool to overlook this. The X2 has a soft spot in our heart for the innovative smart layers. Want to play music? Snap on the JBL Bluetooth speaker extension. Want to protect your phone? There’s a rugged layer. Want to extend your battery life? There’s a snap-on cover for that too. You can change it up depending on what you expect to do that day. We really wish more phones did this.
Asus Zenfone 5 (8GB-Price Rs 8,499 | 16GB-Price Rs 9,999)At Rs 10,000, it was always a good phone. With a further 10% discount, the Asus Zenfone 5 is our default recommendation for anyone who says they want the best camera in a sub-10K smartphone. The 16GB version now costs Rs 10,000, and there’s a microSD slot in case you want to expand that. The battery is quite underwhelming though, so be prepared for that.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Price Rs 29,000)The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, in our books, remains the pinnacle of what Samsung can do. It introduced that faux leather back to get rid of the plasticky feel of Samsung phones. It also was an engineering marvel, as Samsung kept the overall size of the phone the same as the 5.5-inch Note 2, while increasing the actual screen size to 5.7 inches. And the Note 3 proved just how good a stylus can be on a phablet, as Samsung perfectly married its built-in S Pen with on-screen software for a seamless experience. If you like phablets, forget about the Nexus 6 despite its price drop. A phablet needs a stylus and accompanying software, and the Note 3 is arguably the best value for money proposition around at the moment.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Gujarat: PM launches Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service; see beautiful photos of ferry
- SEE PICS| What happened when Railways Minister Piyush Goyal paid a surprise visit to Kota Jan Shatabdi Express
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom