Rail Budget 2016: Suresh Prabhu must hike Indian Railways passenger fares, Assocham
Rail Budget 2016: What may come as shock to the travelling common man, Assocham says Indian Railways must hike passenger fares to become viable. More than that, keeping an eye on the political backlash of such a move against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led NDA government, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu was told that despite that, he should muster some political courage to ensure this happens in Rail Budget 2016.
Reputed players like KFC, Dominos, Haldiram, Bittoo Tikki Wala, Food Panda etc., have already been empanelled as vendors/aggregators for providing good quality food in Indian Railways. (PTI)
Rail Budget 2016: “There is lack of political will to raise passenger fares even though the reluctance is not shared by passengers, who would be willing to pay more provided the hike is accompanied by better services including timely arrival of trains, cleanliness at stations, safety and improvement in food,” the chamber said in a memorandum to Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
Rail Budget 2016: “Passenger losses (including suburban and non-suburban) have grown from 72 per cent of social obligation cost borne by the railways in F1975 to 95 per cent in F2014. The decline in passenger losses would also have a significant positive impact on railways’ finances.
Rail Budget 2016: It said the fare increase in Indian Railways would reduce the drastic losses on passenger traffic, now running at 68 per cent of passenger earnings. Assocham said that a hike in the passenger fares was necessary as they have been kept low at the cost of freight traffic.
More from this section
- 10 years later this is what team Chak De India! is up to now
- Bihar floods lead to massive devastation, thousands affected; see pics
- Apache AH-64E: Indian Army to get world’s “most advanced” multi-role attack helicopter; 6 facts
- Confederate statues that are in the eye of the storm in US; see pics
- Game of Thrones season 7 episode 6 photos out: Tyrion Lannister and Daenerys Targareyan with dragons! Here are some special eye-ball grabbers
- SEBA Compartment Result 2017: HSLC AHM Class 10 scores declared by board today; Visit result.seba.co.in, sebaonline.org
- 10 Bollywood movies of last decade which had HIGHEST budget in their respective year
- Nokia 8 vs Samsung S8 plus vs HTC U11 vs OnePlus 5: A comparison of design, camera, battery and other specifications
- Mudslide devastates African nation Sierra Leone; see pics
Home loans: Additional Rs 50,000 tax benefit for first-time home buyers starts April 1
Bullion markets shut for 30th day over excise duty protest
Congress rues Narendra Modi silence on Pathankot and more, but looks to take credit for passage of several bills
Narendra Modi reveals 7-point strategy to double farmers' income: Key takeaways
ANALYSIS / EXPERT COMMENTS
- Meghnad Desai
India needs a body like the UK’s Office of Budget Responsibility
- Anita Rastogi
In addition to simplifying the taxation structure, implementation of the GST regime will help eliminate most indirect tax issues
- Nirvikar Singh
Repressive regimes fail to deliver inclusive and substantive economic growth
- Anwar Shirpurwala
Extend duty incentives for mobile phones and tablets to all Information Technology Agreement goods
- Eric Mehta
Will this Budget be an enabler for ‘Make in India’, ‘Make for India’ and, most importantly, ‘Make India’ is something that will soon be answered