Budget 2016 Session Highlights: All you wanted to know about Pranab Mukherjee speech in Parliament
1. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: In his customary address to the joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament outlining government's agenda in the coming financial year President Pranab Mukherjee today said that it reflects the supreme will of the people and strongly criticised disruptions and obstructions in both houses. Here is all you wanted to know about President Pranab Mukherjee's speech: (Image Source: PTI)
2. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "The development philosophy of the government was 'Sabka saath, Sabka vikas'. My government in particular is focussed on 'Garibon Ki Unnati', 'Kisano Ki Samridhi' and 'Yuvaon Ka Rozgar" Removing poverty and destitution is our most sacred responsibility. My government has launched three new social security and pension schemes and focused on the welfare of poors, farmers and jobs for the youth. My government is placed in making this goal possible through financial inclusion and social security," President Pranab Mukherjee said. (Image Source: PTI)
3. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "Our Parliament reflects the supreme will of the people. Democratic temper calls for debate and discussion, and not disruption of obstruction. My government will constantly strive for smooth and constructive conduct of Parliamentary business. I urge all Members of Parliament to discharge their solemn responsibilities in a spirit of cooperation and mutual accommodation. Let us all collectively endeavour to build a flourishing and prosperous India," President Pranab Mukherjee said. (Image Source: PTI)
4. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "Let noble thoughts come from all directions, should be the spirit behind the debate in this temple of democracy. Being a member of this great institution bestows great honour as well as important responsibilities," Pranab Mukherjee said.
5. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "Let me congratulate the security forces in successfully foiling the recent attack at the Pathankot air base by terrorists. Firm and effective steps will be taken to deal with any situation arising out of cross-border terrorism," Pranab Mukherjee said.
6. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "My government is committed to forging a mutually respectful relationship with Pakistan and in creating an environment of cooperation in combating cross border terrorism," Pranab Mukherjee said while referring to the government's foreign policy.
7. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: "Development for all means that backward sections of society are equally valued and are genuine stakeholders in the country's progress. Development for all implies that we tackle the pollution, traffic, and garbage problems that plague our cities," President Pranab Mukherjee said.
8. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: 'Development for all' also meant development of the entire world which was why India has to be a responsible member of the global comity of nations helping humanity solve major challenges such as terrorism, climate change and financial instability, President Pranab Mukherjee added.
9. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna, we are proud to say, is the world's most successful financial inclusion programme. Under the programme, out of over 21 crore accounts opened, 15 crore accounts are operational with an aggregate deposit of over Rs.32,000 crore. The programme has gone beyond mere opening of bank accounts to becoming a platform for poverty eradication by offering basic financial services and security to the poor," President Pranab Mukherjee said. (Image Source: PTI)
10. Budget 2016 Session Highlights: India is a haven of stability in an increasingly turbulent global economy. GDP growth has increased making India the world's fastest growing economy among large economies. Inflation, fiscal deficit and current account deficit have all come down and the country recorded the highest ever foreign exchange reserves in 2015. (Image Source: PTI)
More from this section
- Rs 50, Rs 200, Rs 500 and Rs 2000 notes images: Here are the new currency notes released by RBI
- Toilet Ek Prem Katha earns Rs 115.05 cr, but will it beat Akshay Kumar’s highest grosser Rowdy Rathore?
- This shipping route could cut distance from East Asia to Western Europe by 10,000 kilometers; see pics
- How Iran is trying to secure a corridor from its border to the Mediterranean
- Shah Rukh Khan in world’s highest paid actors list, find out 2 other Indians who made it there too
- Typhoon Hato rattles Hong Kong, streets flooded, flights cancelled; see pictures
- Android Oreo: List of smartphones to get the new OS, check if your mobile is on the list
- China targeting another island in South China Sea? See pics
- US Navy to launch fleet-wide probe after USS John McCain collision; see pics
Home loans: Additional Rs 50,000 tax benefit for first-time home buyers starts April 1
Bullion markets shut for 30th day over excise duty protest
Congress rues Narendra Modi silence on Pathankot and more, but looks to take credit for passage of several bills
Narendra Modi reveals 7-point strategy to double farmers' income: Key takeaways
ANALYSIS / EXPERT COMMENTS
- Meghnad Desai
India needs a body like the UK’s Office of Budget Responsibility
- Anita Rastogi
In addition to simplifying the taxation structure, implementation of the GST regime will help eliminate most indirect tax issues
- Nirvikar Singh
Repressive regimes fail to deliver inclusive and substantive economic growth
- Anwar Shirpurwala
Extend duty incentives for mobile phones and tablets to all Information Technology Agreement goods
- Eric Mehta
Will this Budget be an enabler for ‘Make in India’, ‘Make for India’ and, most importantly, ‘Make India’ is something that will soon be answered