US Dollar and Rupee seen lower on hike in gold import tax
* India has raised the import tax on gold by 2 percentage points to 6 percent to curb purchases and rein-in a ballooning fiscal deficit, but industry officials expect only a moderate drop in demand.
* Gold import-related dollar buying is an important source of dollar demand after oil in currency markets.
* Dealers say government's approval of IKEA's $1.86 billion India investment plan also positive for rupee.
* The Nifty India stock futures traded in Singapore currently up 0.11 percent, while the MSCI index of Asian shares ex-Japan 0.03 percent lower.
* Most Asian currencies including won, ringgit trading lower. See for a snapshot.
Be the first to comment.