People who know him say that TDP MP from Narasaraopet, Modugula Venugopala Reddy, 49, is an unlikely participant in the fracas in Parliament during introduction of Telangana Bill, on Thursday. While Venugopala Reddy, who contested and won for the first time in 2009, is known to be a straightforward man who speaks his mind, they do not believe he can brandish a knife in the House. He is known to even lock horns with party president N Chandrababu Naidu, telling him bluntly when he disagrees with him.
Venugopala Reddy has termed as a "lie" the allegation that he was carrying a knife inside the House and claimed that he was assaulted by 10 members.
Here are five points on TDP MP M Venugopala Reddy:
* Behind Venugopala Reddy's anti-Telangana protests may be the need to protect the business interests of Ramky Group, headed by his brother-in-law A Ayodhra Rama Reddy. Venugopala Reddy is a director and promoter of Ramky Group, which has invested in multi-crore real estate projects in Hyderabad and Ranga Reddy districts, infrastructure and pharma companies.
* Ramky is one of the leading groups building luxury apartments and villas in the IT corridor, and has invested over Rs 1,000 crore in these projects.
* Ramky was named in the CBI chargesheet in the Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy disproportionate assets case for allegedly making a quid pro quo arrangement with then CM Y S Rajasekhara Reddy, who allotted 136 acres of land for Ramky Pharma SEZ in Vizag.
* Ramky has also invested thousands of crores in a real estate project called ďDiscovery CityĒ, near Maheshwaram in Ranga Reddy. The company was touting the project as an integrated township designed to rival Lavasa.
* Sources said Ramky has projects adding up to over Rs 9,000 crore in the Telangana region.