Tata Tele’s 19 GSM licences won’t be scrapped

Oct 21 2013, 09:52 IST
Comments 0
SummaryDoT spares company, goes by legal opinion on Supreme Court’s 2012 order cancelling 2G licences

In a major relief for dual technology mobile operator Tata Teleservices, the department of telecommunications has decided that its 19 GSM licences will not be scrapped as they do not fall under the Supreme Court’s February 2012 order that cancelled 2G licences.

The decision is based on a legal opinion by senior advocate P P Rao who had been asked by the telecom department to clarify the apex court's orders.

Various industry bodies, including Assocham, the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), and Idea Cellular managing director Himanshu Kapania, had been insisting that the SC order should have lead to the quashing of 141 Unified Access Service (UAS) licences, including Tata Tele's 19 GSM permits, instead of 122 as undertaken by the government.

Dual-technology licence holders offer mobile offering services on both GSM and CDMA platforms. Tata Teleservices offers GSM services in all telecom circles of the country except the Northeast, Jammu & Kashmir and Assam.

DoT is expected to soon inform all the groups about the legal opinion of the senior advocate.

According to a DoT note, Rao said there were two sets of applicants. One set was of those that applied for UAS licences till September 25, 2007 and the second set of existing licensees seeking approval to use dual-technology spectrum.

Rao added the SC judgment had not mentioned quashing of the approval given for use of dual-technology spectrum to the existing players that had been given licences before the issuance of two press releases on January 10, 2008.

"The allocation of spectrum quashed by the Supreme Court is limited to the cancelled licences. The existing licensees are not to be affected, as neither their licences were cancelled nor their spectrum quashed," Rao noted.

Tata Tele had got its CDMA licence in 2005 and was allowed in January 2008 to operate GSM services under the same licence through the dual-technology route.

The Supreme Court had on February 2, 2012, quashed the licences given to private firms on or after January 10, 2008, pursuant to two press releases issued by DoT on January 10, 2008.

In one release, DoT had said letters of intent would be issued to all eligible players on the date of their application (if applied on or before September 25, 2007).

In the second, DoT had asked the dual-technology applicants to collect DoT’s response on the same day at a specified time.

Rao noted that both DoT and the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India

Single Page Format
Ads by Google

More from Economy

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...