Rajnath Singh refuses to pinpoint blame about 'rumours' on son

Rajnath Singh refuses to pinpoint blame about 'rumours' on son

There has been some reports of Rajnath Singh's son being ticked off by PM Narendra Modi...
New Flight MH 370 theory

New Flight MH 370 theory

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 may have turned south earlier than previously thought

Shocker: Hockey India first threatens to dump Sultan Azlan Shah Cup trip, then does U-turn over funds

Feb 26 2013, 20:31 IST
Comments 0
'Proposal submitted by Hockey India was overshooting specific budget.' (AP) 'Proposal submitted by Hockey India was overshooting specific budget.' (AP)
SummarySports Authority of India says Hockey India proposal 'overshot' budget.

India will finally take part in the upcoming Sultan Azlan Shah Cup tournament after a peeved Hockey India initially threatened to withdraw from the event over government's refusal's to fund travel expenses but reversed its decision following a quick resolution of the issue.

In what appeared to be a pressure tactic, Hockey India surprisingly announced withdrawal from the tournament through an official press release, citing Sports Authority of India's refusal to bear the team's air travel expenses.

However, after the news broke out, the Sports Ministry said that it has directed SAI to allocate the required funds to meet the air ticket expenses of the team considering the prestige attached to the tournament.

The Sports Ministry's directive to SAI paved the way for India's participation, ending the withdrawal drama over ticket expenditure which would have cost approximately 6 to 7 lakhs for a 22-member squad.

Soon after Hockey India decided to pull out of the event to be held in Ipoh, Malaysia, from March 9-17, Sports Secretary P K Deb stepped in to resolve the issue.

When contacted, Hockey India Secretary General Narinder Batra said that the team will now take part in the event.

"The Indian team will take part in the event. It will leave on March 3. We will deal directly with the Sports Ministry and resolve all the issues", Batra said.

"The Sports Ministry has asked SAI to release the funds. We stepped in because Azlan Shah is a very important tournament and we don't want to deprive our players a chance to participate in such a prestigious tournament," Sports Secretary P K Deb said.

"India have always figured in the previous editions of the tournament and the Sports Ministry made the exception this time keeping in mind the players' interest," he added.

Deb, however, asked Hockey India to exercise fiscal restrain in future.

"One thing I would like to make it clear is that HI needs to be more cautious and disciplined in spending money which has been allocated to them by SAI", Deb said.

"The allocation for the year was 5.94 crore and it (HI) spent 11.27 crore, more than double the allocation. This allocation of 5.94 crore was decided after discussion with HI.

So at some point of time they need to be told to become more careful while spending the money", he said.

"SAI must have told them about this spending of money. This time we have made the exception but not always," Deb

Single Page Format
Ads by Google

More from Sports

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...