- Beheaded soldier Hemraj's family ends fast after assurance by Akhilesh Yadav, Army chiefIf Hemraj's head not returned, bring 10 heads from Pakistan: BJP's Sushma SwarajAs Sushma Swaraj calls for Ď10 headsí from Pakistan, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reaches out to BJPNational Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon to brief Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley on tension along LoC
Government today cautioned against "jingoism" after the BJP upped the ante on the issue of beheading of an Indian soldier by Pakistani Army along the Line of Control.
"Professional Armies respect rules of engagement. Transgressions are surmounted through tactical responses and not driven by jingoism," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said on micro-blogging site Twitter.
His comments came a day after BJP leader Sushma Swaraj said that if Pakistan does not return the head of martyred soldier Hemraj, India should get at least 10 heads from the other side.
After visiting Hemraj's family along with party president Nitin Gadkari and leader Rajnath Singh yesterday, Swaraj had said, "The question is: will we sit without any reaction and engage in a dialogue?... That is why we have said that government should take some tough measures".
"There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that the entire country is outraged about the inhuman manner in which our armed forces personnel have been treated. The government has responded to it by not only expressing its outrage but by defining it as some sort of a turning point," Tewari said.
He said professional armies respect the rules of engagement and aberration to these rules are surmounted through tactical responses.
"The mapping of those tactical responses are best left to professionals. It is advisable that jingoism needs to be avoided," he further said.
* There were three ceasefire violations by Pakistan yesterday after the flag meeting: Parnaik.
They fired from small fire arms and also mortar shells: Parnaik on ceasefire violations by Pak.
* Pakistan is always in denial mode, it always fabricates things: Northern Army Commander Lt Gen KT Parnaik.
* After the flag meeting, Pakistan still remained adamant and arrogant: Parnaik.
* We told Pakistan that we continue to respect ceasefire but will retaliate if provoked: Parnaik.
* Indian Army does not react in haste and anger. We have a plan and act according to that: Parnaik.