Sadiq encounter: former DySP surrenders, sent to judicial custody

Comments 0
SummarySaiyed told the court that he learnt through the media that he had been chargesheeted in the case as accused number two.

Former deputy superintendent of police Irshadali Anwarali Saiyed, chargesheeted in the 2003 Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case, was sent to judicial custody in the Sabarmati Central Jail for two week after he surrendered himself before the CBI court Monday.

Saiyed told the court that he learnt through the media that he had been chargesheeted in the case as accused number two. He said he was suffering from some medical complication for many years and that he was seeking treatment the day the CBI had summoned him.

The court had issued non-bailable warrants against Saiyed and another retired DySP K M Vaghela on the CBI’s request on Friday, the day five policemen were arrested and sent to Sabarmati Central Jail. The arrested include DySP J G Parmar, inspectors G H Gohil and R L Mavani, and head constables Ajaypal Singh and Chatrashingh Chudasama.

CBI sources said Saiyed and Parmar, who were posted in the Ahmedabad Detection of Crime Branch, had allegedly shot dead Sadiq from point blank.

In September, the CBI had arrested DySP Tarun Barot who was part of the team that carried out the encounter. The first arrest in this case was of Mumbai-based former journalist Ketan Tirodkar who has not been named in the chargesheet.

Sadiq, a resident of Bhavnagar, was shot dead near Galaxy Cinema in Naroda area of the city on January 13, 2003, days after he was brought to Ahmedabad from the custody of Maharashtra Police.

The police had claimed that Jamal was a Lashkar-e-Taiba operative who wanted to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi and some other politicians and leaders.

Ads by Google

More from Ahmedabad

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...