weaker sections and physically challenged to be filled up soon.
* It is proposed to air-condition locomotives.
* Free wi-fi facility to be provided in select trains.
* Special A/C coaches 'Anubhuti', to be introduced in select Shatabdi and Rajdhani trains to give excellent ambience with commensurate fare.
* Railways will use Aadhar data base for bookings and validation of passengers.
* Internet booking to be provided from 0030 hours to 2330 hours.
* Internet booking to be strengthened with next-generation e-ticketing system to eliminate delays.
* Common rail-bus ticket to be introduced for Katra-Vaishnodevi pilgrims.
* New train Azadi Express to places linked with the freedom struggle to be introduced, fares to be concessional.
* Losses to Railways on account of passenger traffic likely to mount to Rs 24,600 crore in 2012-13 from Rs 22,500 crore in 2011-12.
* 12th Plan railway size to be Rs 5.19 lakh crore, with gross budgetary support of Rs 1.94 lakh crore.
* Rs one lakh crore to be raised from public-private partnership, Rs 1.05 lakh crore through internal resources in the 12th Plan, says Railway Minister P K Bansal.
* Bansal took a dig at mamata Banerjee and said, my intention is not to create a 'hungamma'. I intend to focus on the health of the Railways.
* Elimination of 10,700 unmanned level crossings targeted during the Plan; no more new such crossings to be created.
* Corporate Safety Plan to be prepared for ten-year period (2014-24).
* Identification of 104 stations for upgradation in places with more than one million population and of religious significance
* Railways to set up six more Rail Neer bottling plants
* Railways set to enter 1 billion ton freight club of China, Russia and US.
Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who recently revised passenger fares across the board after a decade, has sought Rs 38,000 crore gross budgetary outlay for Railways in 2013-14 as against this year's Rs 24,000 crore.
The Railways' deplorable financial situation is evident from the fact it spends 78% of its revenue receipts for paying wages, pension and fuel bills.
One won't be surprised if the Revised Estimate for this year's opening fund balance is