been scaled down to 2,700 acres from about 4,000 acres.
Posco signed a memorandum of understanding in June 2005 to incorporate an Indian subsidiary and build a steel plant in Orissa. Posco India was incorporated by Posco in August 2005 with the registrar of companies, Orissa, under the Companies Act, 1956.
* Govt had earlier taken into possession 2,000 acres for the $12-billion steel plant
* Officials uproot betel vines and pay over R15 lakh as compensation to 8 farmers
* Authorities face resistance at Gobindpur, the epicentre of the anti-Posco movement
* State officials say no force was used even as protesters claim seven people were hurt
* Posco India has agreed to reduce the size of the plant to from 12 mtpa to 8 mtpa
* Land requirement now has been scaled down from about 4,000 acres to 2,700 acres
(With inputs from PTI)