Neymar laments seeing World Cup dream taken away

Jul 06 2014, 13:35 IST
Comments 0
SummaryNeymar battled back tears as he urged his Brazil team-mates to win the World Cup without him after suffering a fractured vertebrae in the quarter-final win over Colombia.

Neymar battled back tears as he urged his Brazil team-mates to win the World Cup without him after suffering a fractured vertebrae in the quarter-final win over Colombia.

"They took away my dream of playing in a World Cup final, but the dream of being a world champion is not over," the emotional superstar said in comments released by the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) as he left the team camp yesterday.

Neymar's agonizing plight remained centre stage as FIFA announced it would consider action against Colombian defender Juan Zuniga who kneed the Brazilian in the back. Zuniga apologised to Neymar but insisted he had not deliberately hurt the star striker.

"Life moves on. I am sure my team-mates will do everything possible so that we can achieve our dream of being champions," Neymar said in a video released by the federation.

"It was also my dream to play in a World Cup final. It will not be this time, but I am sure we will overcome this and we will all be able to celebrate being champions."

The Brazil squad applauded the 22-year-old Barcelona striker in an emotional farewell at their Teresopolis camp before he was taken to Rio de Janeiro by helicopter.

Meanwhile, Brazilian team doctor Jose Luiz Runco called for World Cup referees to do more to protect players as he confirmed details of Neymar's fractured third lumbar vertebrae, a bone in his lower back.

The injury was suffered in a crunching challenge by Colombia defender Juan Zuniga in Friday's game in Fortaleza, which Brazil won 2-1.

"In games involving Brazil we have seen some things happen that are not in keeping with what we should see on a football field," he said, recalling the crunching challenges during last week's game against Chile that already left Neymar battered and bruised.

"Referees have tried to avoid giving out cards but FIFA is likely to take some action now. They must have experts looking into what happened."

FIFA has said it is looking into the incident after Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo did not even book Zuniga for the challenge. Zuniga has expressed regret for the injury but insisted there was no intention to cause harm.

"I deeply regret the sad injury suffered by Neymar during the game between Brazil and Colombia," the defender said in a letter sent to Neymar that was quoted by the Colombian Football Federation.

"This situation resulted from normal game action and there was no

Single Page Format
Ads by Google

More from FIFA World Cup 2014

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...