Mumbai gangrape case: DNA samples found on victim match with accused

Aug 30 2013, 23:43 IST
Comments 0
According to the police, one of the five accused was found to be a minor. (IE Photo) According to the police, one of the five accused was found to be a minor. (IE Photo)
SummaryAccording to the police, one of the five accused was found to be a minor.

Mumbai police on Friday moved closer to nailing the five accused arrested in the photojournalist's gangrape case with forensic tests confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects.

"We have received forensic report from Directorate of Forensic Sciences Laboratory at Kalina here today. The DNA samples found on the victim match with the DNA samples of all five accused. This is one of the strongest evidences to confirm that the accused were involved in the crime," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy said.

Express Editorial: Being the change

Roy said one of the five accused was found to be a minor with his brother producing a birth certificate issued by the city's civic authority and a school leaving certificate both of which showed he was born in February 1997.

Mumbai photojournalist gangrape: Those 3 hours

"We have also verified with the authorities concerned (with regard to the date of the birth of the minor accused). The certificates state that the accused was born in the month of February in 1997. Now ossification test is not required to be done to determine his age," he said.

Related: Is Mumbai really a safe city for women?

After the arrest of this accused, police had claimed he was 18 years of age but his family had disputed it, saying he was a minor. Following this police had planned to conduct an ossification test.

Related: Opposition seeks Patil's resignation over Mumbai gangrape

Earlier in the day, three of the accused-- Shiraz Rehman Khan, Vijay Jadhav and Kasim Bengali-- faced the wrath of the women, who hurled eggs at them when they were being escorted to a jeep after being produced before the court.

The women, claiming to be members of a political party, raised slogans and demanded that alleged rapists be hanged.

The trio's police custody was extended till September five.

The minor accused was produced before a juvenile court, from where he was sent to a juvenile remand home in Dongri. The juvenile accused, if convicted, would have to spend a maximum of three years at a correctional facility instead of undergoing stricter punishment of no less than seven years which could extend up to life imprisonment for others.

Bengali, a history-sheeter, moved an application before Additional Metropolitan Magistrate Uday Padwad, claiming

Single Page Format
Ads by Google
Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...