Marxist group claims attack, 3 detained
The statement, which also denounced US foreign policy, was reportedly released by the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party, and a translation was distributed by the Site Intelligence Group, which monitors the communications of extremist groups. The message, released on a website that has previously carried statements from the group, condemned Turkey’s policy of supporting Syria’s rebels against the government of Bashar al-Assad.
Turkish authorities Saturday said the man who detonated himself at the US embassy in Ankara Friday, killing himself and one other, was a convicted terrorist who had twice attacked government facilities in Istanbul but was released from prison in 2002.
Officials in Ordu identified the bomber as Ecevit Sanli, 40. According to Ankara governor’s office, DNA tests confirmed that Sanli bombed the embassy, Reuters reported.
The statement by the militant group included two photographs of the bomber that appeared to be the same person seen in photographs published by the news media.
The statement from officials in Ordu Saturday said Sanli spent five years in prison after being arrested in 1997 for attacking a military hostel and police station in Istanbul. He was then released in 2002 under an amnesty programme for inmates with medical conditions.
The authorities said Sanli lobbed a hand grenade during Friday’s attack just before detonating himself.
Meanwhile, Associayed Press reported that police
Be the first to comment.