Local support seems to be pouring in for the efforts of the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation chief Shrikar Pardeshi to ensure an effective, transparent and accountable administration. Last week a team of the town’s who’s who led by Sathyan Iyer, a retired income tax officer and a resident of Pradhikaran, met Pardeshi at his office to express their “whole-hearted” support to him.
The residents handed him over a letter of support in which they lauded his action against illegal buildings despite pressure from various quarters. They also supported his move to transfer over 300 PCMC employees besides initiating department audit and probe against alleged wrong-doers.
“Since he joined office in June, 2012, he has taken a number of initiatives to ensure an effective and transparent PCMC. All this has happened despite pressure on him from several quarters. And that is the reason why decided to meet the commissioner and express our support,” said Iyer.
D G Baliga, a retired Air Force officer from Pimpri, said, “His move to scale down the school budget from Rs 108 crore to Rs 100 crore was highly appreciative. Similarly, he has brought in checks on hospital bill reimbursement of PCMC, which will also save crores.”
Sanjeevani Pandey from Chinchwad said the commissioner should do whatever possible to end the menace of illegal construction and ensure that Pimpri-Chinchwad becomes a well-planned city.
During the meeting with Pardeshi, advocate Sushil Mancharkar from Nehrunagar sought action against top officials who have indulged in corruption. Roop Karnani of Ajmera highlighted the poor state of gardens. Pradnya Chalkha of Chinchwad pointed to the stray dog menace and poor garbage management.
Thanking their support, Pardeshi said the functioning of the civic body has been affected as the corporators have refused to allow civic general body meetings to take place. “In last eight months, 15 general body meetings have been adjourned,” he said.
He said the administration was demolishing illegal structures as per the High Court orders. “Whatever we are doing is as per the High Court. Before I took over, the process for starting the demolition drive was ready. I just initiated it. The process I suppose was going on for two years. We are not demolishing structures that came up before March 31, 2012,” he said.