Volume growth remains muted: Q4FY14 results showed another quarter of slowing volume growth momentum, with the 3% underlying volume growth being the lowest in the past 22 quarters. The management’s outlook indicates no significant turnaround in the near term; we expect H1FY15F (forecast) to mirror the performance seen in the current quarter. Pricing growth has seen an uptick and this should continue over the next quarter, although the quantum is likely to be small. With no pick-up in growth and valuations continuing to remain high, we maintain our Reduce rating on the stock. We raise our target price to Rs510 on account of the roll-forward of earnings, which still provides a 12% downside potential from current levels.
Q4 results below estimates: Q4FY14 results came in below our forecasts. While sales were 1% below our estimate, profit after tax was 6.6% below our and 5.5% below the Street’s estimate.
Volume growth of 3% was quite disappointing and what is more concerning is the trajectory slowdown. Remember, growth was 4% in Q3FY14. This is the key negative, in our view.
* Net sales income from operations increased by 8.9% to R69.36bn vs. our estimate of R70.04bn and consensus at R69.97bn.
* Gross margin expanded 10bps to 46.2% against our expectation of 90bps y-o-y.
* Ebitda came in at R9.19bn, vs. our estimate of R10.16bn.
* Ebitda margin came in at 13.3%, down 40bps y-o-y. We were expecting Ebitda margins at 14.5% (up 80bps y-o-y).
* The key surprise was: other than weak gross margins, staff costs rose 60 bps y-o-y to 5.5% vs. our estimate of 5%.
* PAT came in at R8.06 bn vs. our estimate of R8.63 bn.
No pick up in volume growth: Volume has been growing at a slow pace over the past six quarters and there are no signs of a revival yet. In Q4FY14, volume growth was at 3%. Last time, volume growth was below this level was in September 2009. We do not see any immediate signs of a pickup in growth and believe H1FY15F is likely to mirror the performance over the past couple of quarters. We expect low single digit volume growth and some price increases across the portfolio.
Building in below-average growth over FY15-16F: We cut our net income estimate by 3% for FY16F and now build in an average net income growth of 8.6% over FY15-16F. Part of the cut in earnings estimates is on account of our higher tax