Forces capable of responding to ceasefire violations: Arun Jaitley

Jun 14 2014, 14:40 IST
Comments 0
SummaryDefence Minister Arun Jaitley today said the country's forces are capable of responding to ceasefire violations along the Line of Control by Pakistan.

Defence Minister Arun Jaitley today said the country's forces are capable of responding to ceasefire violations along the Line of Control by Pakistan.

Jaitley, who arrived here on a two-day visit to Jammu Kashmir, said he will review security related matters with the state government and officers involved in the security grid.

Asked about ceasefire violations, including the one ahead of his visit, the Defence Minister said "our forces are capable of responding to it".

Jaitley was speaking to reporters at the Raj Bhavan, where he will be staying overnight.

Accompanied by Army chief General Bikram Singh, Jaitley arrived here on his maiden visit since assuming charge as Defence Minister last month and is slated to meet Governor N N Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.

Ahead of Jaitley's visit, Pakistan troops had yesterday targeted Indian posts in Poonch sector with heavy weaponary like mortar shells, prompting India to remind it that maintenance of peace on border is a "pre-condition" for normalisation of relations.

Indian troops had retaliated effectively.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had questioned the timing of the ceasefire violation.

"Is it just a coincidence that the Defence Minister is visiting J&K, for his 1st visit, to review the security situation tomorrow?" Omar tweeted.

The firing came a day after an IED blast in the Tarkundi forward area along the LoC in Poonch in which one jawan was killed and three others injured.

Between end of April and mid-May, 19 incidents of ceasefire violation were reported along the LoC.

Ads by Google

More from Miscellaneous

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...