Did not want to spook the markets, nor any section of society with Budget 2013, says Finance Minister P. Chidambaram
Asked about the cut in subsidies, Chidambaram said the Budget figures are credible as fuel subsidy bill is likely to be smaller because we are correction in diesel prices and cap on supply of under-priced cooking gas (LPG) cylinder.
Food and fertiliser subsidy will be last to be transferred through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme, he said.
* Economy is challenged in a number of ways
* Bulk of Rs 13,300 crore gains from direct taxes to come from 10 per cent surcharge on 42,800 super-rich individuals.
* Another set of decisions and measures will be announced in reply to Budget discussion and Finance Bill in Parliament
* Main thrust of Budget is that we are following a fiscally prudent path, fiscal deficit will be contained
* In medium to long term, the only way to contain current account deficit is to increase exports
* FM says fiscal policy must do its part in containing inflation while hoping that monetary policy authority will also do its part.
* I hope FY13-14 will be a better year in terms of growth, inflation control and investment
* Once we achieve growth of 6.1 to 6.7 per cent next year, we should aim at 7 per cent in 2014-15
* Fuel subsidy bill is likely to be smaller because we are correcting diesel prices
* Uncertainty in spectrum auction will be resolved
* Cabinet will take a view on whether to go in
Be the first to comment.