Delhi court rejects bail pleas of Zee editors
Metropolitan magistrate Rajinder Singh said: “Investigation is at a preliminary stage. It (plea for bail) was earlier dismissed by the duty magistrate. No fresh ground has arisen since then... Hence, in my considered opinion, it is dismissed.”
Chaudhary and Ahluwalia were arrested on November 27 and remanded in police custody. On November 30, they were sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
In a statement, Zee News said that it was “disappointed” that the bail applications had been rejected.
“We are disappointed but confident that justice will prevail as the two editors are innocent. We hope to succeed in the superior court,” said Rebecca John, Zee News counsel.
During the hearing on the bail applications, special public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan argued that the accused had no right to move a fresh bail plea as similar applications by them had been dismissed by a magistrate on November 28 when they were first remanded in police custody for two days.
He said the accused had already filed bail plea under Section 437 of CrPC at an earlier stage and, therefore, the second bail plea was not maintainable and should be dismissed.
Rebecca John argued that when the person was no longer in police custody, an application for bail
Be the first to comment.