being fascinated by shoe-making in Italy.
He was convinced to return in front of the camera by Leonardo DiCaprio and Scorsese to play Bill the Butcher in "Gangs of New York".
After Gangs, he was directed by his wife in the drama "The Ballad of Jack & Rose" but it was the portrayal of Daniel Plainview, an ambitious, misanthropic oil baron in Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood" that saw him dominating the award season once again, including the best actor Oscar.
In 2009, he played film director Guido Contini in the movie adaptation of "Nine".
Spielberg's offer for Day-Lewis to play the 16th US President came in 2010.
Ben Affleck's "Argo,'' the story of how Hollywood, Canada and the CIA teamed up to rescue six Americans during the Iranian hostage crisis, has earned best picture at the Academy Awards.
1. Best Picture Argo
2. Best Director Ang Lee for 'Life Of Pi'
3. Actor in a Leading Role Daniel Day-Lewis for 'Lincoln'
4. Actress in a Leading Role Jennifer Lawrence for 'Silver Linings Playbook'
5. Actor in a Supporting Role Christoph Waltz for 'Django Unchained'
6. Actress in a Supporting Role Anne Hathaway for 'Les Miserables'
7. Animated Feature Film 'Brave' by Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
8. Cinematography 'Life of Pi' for Claudio Miranda
9. Costume Design 'Anna Karenina' by Jacqueline Durran
10. Documenatry Feature 'Searching for Sugar Man' by Malik Bendjelloul and SimonChinn
11. Documentary Short 'Inocente' by Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine
12. Film Editing William Goldenberg for 'Argo'
13. Foreign Language Film 'Amour'
14. Makeup and Hairstyling Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell for 'Les Miserables'
15. Music (Original Score) Mychael Danna for 'Life of Pi'
16. Music (Original Song) Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth for Skyfall from 'Skyfall'
17. Production Design Rick Carter (Production Design); Jim Erickson (Set Decoration) for 'Lincoln'
18. Animated Short Film John Kahrs for 'Paperman'
19. Short Film (Live Action)
Shawn Christensen for 'Curfew'
20. Sound Editing
Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers for 'Skyfall' and Paul NJ Ottosson for 'Zero Dark Thirty'
21. Sound Mixing
Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes for 'Les Miserables'
22. Visual Effects Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R Elliott for 'Life of Pi'
23. Writing (Adapted Screenplay) Chris Terrio for 'Argo'
24. Writing (Original Screenplay) Quentin Tarantino for 'Django Unchained'