China's second richest man Zong Qinghou was injured in a revenge attack by an unemployed man wielding a knife at his mansion in eastern China, the state media reported today.
Zong, founder and chairman of China's beverage giant Hangzhou Wahaha Group, suffered a cuts on his hand when the man attacked him with knife last Friday at his residence in Hangzhou city of Zhejiang Province after being declined a job.
The 67-year-old multi-billionaire, until recently considered China's richest man, was rushed to the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine.
Police said he sustained injuries on his left hand.
The suspect, a 49-year-old man surnamed Yang, was captured. Police said Yang, a resident of Suzhou City of neighbouring Jiangsu Province, came to Hangzhou earlier this year in search of a job.
After failing to get employment, Yang went Zong's residence and asked him for a job. Yang allegedly attacked Zong after he turned down his request, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Zong said that he suffered only minor injuries and was recovering well.
According to the Hurun Rich List released last week, Zong has a personal fortune of USD 18.68 billion. He was ranked second on the list after estate magnate, Wang Jianlin.
Zong was twice ranked, in 2010 and 2012, as the wealthiest businessman in China by Hurun Research Institute's annual rich list.
The Wahaha Group started from a humble factory affiliated to a primary school in 1987 and grew into one of the top 500 private enterprises in China.
As the largest beverage enterprise in China, the group's revenue reached 63.63 billion yuan in 2012.
It has 66 production bases and 170 subsidiaries across China and employs nearly 30,000 people.
Officials of the Wahaha Group said Zong has already resumed work.