Adani Oz joint venture may drop plan to dump waste in reef

Sep 03 2014, 00:43 IST
Comments 0
SummaryAn Indian-Australian joint venture developing the world’s biggest coal port in Australia...

An Indian-Australian joint venture developing the world’s biggest coal port in Australia may scrap a controversial plan to dump 3 million cubic metres of waste dredged from the ocean floor into the fragile Great Barrier Reef area amid global environmental outcry.

North Queensland Bulk Ports, GVK Hancock and Adani Group will re-submit a proposal as early as this week to environment minister Greg Hunt proposing alternative dumping sites on land.

The change is designed to neutralise controversy over damage to the reef and avoid a court case launched by the North Queensland Conservation Council. The fresh proposal will supersede Hunt’s previous approval of dumping in the ocean under strict conditions and restart the process, which could delay construction, The Australian Financial Review reported.

“We have encouraged and invited [an alternative proposal] and we’ll see if they put it in, and then we’ll assess it on its merits,” Hunt said. Hunt has long been lobbying for the change behind the scenes, according to sources. Last week local Liberal lawmaker George Christensen declared he had “got it wrong” in his support for the expansion project and called on the owners of Abbot Point to look at alternative onshore options.

Australia’s government seven months ago approved dumping of up to 3 million cubic meters of so-called dredge spoils—roughly equivalent to the amount of stone in the Great Pyramid at Giza—to allow expansion of the Abbot Point coal port in Queensland state, adjacent to the reef.

But after the UNESCO threatened in June to place the reef on a list of threatened heritage sites, the developers, came up with a new plan to dump the material on land.

The details of the resubmission are not yet known, though sources played down the likelihood that a disused area near the north Queensland town of Bowen could be used as a dumping site.

A spokesman for North Queensland Bulk Ports confirmed fresh options for onshore dumping are being considered.

A spokesman for Adani Group said, “We’ve long said that disposal options will adhere to the best practice and the best science, based on advice from technical experts and approving authorities.”

Adani warned in June it could abandon its plans at Abbot Point if dredging could not be completed before June 30 next year. It hopes to start exporting coal to India from its $16-billion Carmichael mine by 2017.

Ads by Google

More from Companies

Reader´s Comments
| Post a Comment
Please Wait while comments are loading...