1. Here’s how to link PAN card with Aadhaar card on Income Tax website incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in

How to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card? Here are easy steps you should follow. Also, July 01 is not the last date to link PAN Card with Aadhaar card.

By: | New Delhi | Updated: June 30, 2017 1:34 PM
Aadhaar Card, Aadhaar Pay Platform, Aadhaar news, income-tax laws, PAN Card Taxpayers without Aadhaar number or its enrolment ID will not be allowed to e-filed their Income Tax returns (ITRs) from July 1.

How to link your Aadhaar with PAN card:  In a major development, the tax department on 29th June announced that taxpayers without Aadhaar number or its enrolment ID will not be allowed to e-filed their Income Tax returns (ITRs) from July 1. However, a senior Income Tax official clarified that those who will fail to get their cards linked before July 1, will have an option to mention the UIDAI-provided number in the e-ITR and this will be considered a valid linking of the two unique numbers.

Ever since the government confirmed that Aadhaar card will be a must for filing ITRs and obtaining a new PAN from July 1, a lot of doubts and questions have come up. Some people are still confused about the process. Also, July 01 is not the last date to link PAN Card with Aadhaar card.

I am a senior citizen and do not have much knowledge about computers. I have read that PAN is invalid if not linked with Aadhaar. Can I get help on how to link your Aadhaar with PAN card.

– Ashok Kumar Singh

As per the recent amendments made in income-tax laws, Aadhaar card and PAN must be linked, failing which PAN shall be cancelled. In order to link PAN and Aadhaar card, following steps are to be followed:-

a) First register on the Income tax e-filing portal (“http://incometax indiaefiling.gov.in”) if you are not already registered.

b) Log-in to the e-filing portal of the income tax department by entering the log-in ID, password and date of birth.

c) On logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If it doesn’t come, then click on “profile settings” and then “Link Aadhaar”.

d) Details regarding name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-filing portal.

e) Verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.

f) If the details match, enter your Aadhaar card number and click on the “Link Aadhaar” button. If the details do not match, it may pose a problem and the person is advised to get the details amended in his Aadhaar or PAN.

g) A pop-up message will display that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.

You might also want to see this:

In my PAN and Aadhaar cards, the name, gender and date of birth is same except for the address. Is it mandatory to have the same address on both the cards to link them?
– Abhishek Dutt

For the purpose of linking Aadhaar card and PAN, it is not necessary that the address in both should be same. Hence, linking them will not pose any problem. However, for the sake of uniformity afterwards, it is advisable to keep the address same, hence you can get it changed accordingly.

The writer is partner, Ashok Maheshwary & Associates. Send your queries to fepersonalfinance@expressindia.com

Anil Kumar T S
    Jul 6, 2017 at 10:38 pm
    Hi I am filling so many times but adhar pan link.but Shows not matching your names and date of birth.but I have same .
    1. L
      Lalithakumari
      May 27, 2017 at 5:51 pm
      In my pan the name is " Lalitha Kumari Thankamma " and in Aadhar name is "Lalithakumari T " which are one and the same.Only thing in Aadhar Lalithakumari is written continuously but in Pan after Lalitha ,Kumari is written after a space.There is no factual mistake.But could not Link Pan and Aadhar. What to do ? T.Lalithakumari
        Archanaa
        Jul 2, 2017 at 4:44 pm
        My mom initial change is there but then it did not pose any problem. It jus linked it without issue.
        Raju kumar ram
        May 5, 2017 at 10:05 am
        Bakwas laga
        1. K
          Karan
          May 4, 2017 at 2:19 pm
          I given adharcard Xerox as iden y proof while applying for pancard a year back is it necessary to do it again online..
            ARITRA DEY
            May 4, 2017 at 2:19 pm
            I don't fi because my income not taxable rate. can it necessary to me link adhara and pan? if yes then how?
              Vkj
              May 4, 2017 at 1:48 pm
              What a stupid article. The pain area is that the person has no computer knowledge and still the article talks about a solution on the computers. The article should have alternatives other than going via computers and web portals.
                vinod
                May 3, 2017 at 9:52 am
                The second question is wrong. Pan card does not have an address.
                  SEKAR
                  May 3, 2017 at 8:24 am
                  MY NAME IS R.P.SEKAR. MY AGE IS 54. I AM working in CO-OPERATIVE SECTOR. THEY DEDUCTED INCOME TAX FROM MY RY AND REMITTED SAME INTO I.T. DEPARTMENT PAST FEW YEARS. WHEN I APPLY FOR PAN CARD AGENCY DIRECTED TO FILL FULL EXAPANSION OF INITIAL IN FIRST,MIDDLE,SUR NAME COLUMNS. SO I FILLED AS IN FIRST NAME "RAMU" is my g father name for "R", "PONNUSAMY" is my father name for "P" AND PUT MY NAME IN SURNAME AS "SEKAR". BUT MY CERTIFICATES CARRYING WITH R.P.SEKAR AND MY FATHER NAME AS R.PONNUSAMY. THERE IS NO DO ENTS FOR "RAMU". WHILE SHIFTED MY HOUSE, I HAVE TRIED TO MAKE CORRECTION IN PAN CARD THRU ONLINE AND SENT THE DO ENTS TO THIER PUNE ADDRESS by post. THEY HAVE REJECTED FOR NO DO ENTS FOR GIVEN NAME. I HAVE TRIED FOR TWO TIMES. THEY REJECTED BOTH TIMES. NOW, EPFO ALSO INSIST TO REGISTER THE PAN CARD NUMBER IN EPF. THERE ALSO SAME PROBLEM. IN TAMILNADU MOSTLY USES INITIALS ONLY NO SUCH FIRST, MIDDLE AND SURNAME. IS ANY REMEDY FOR this problem
                    SEKAR
                    May 3, 2017 at 8:15 am
                    MY NAME IS R.P.SEKAR. MY AGE IS 54. I AM AN EMPLOYEE OF CO-OPERATIVE SECTOR.THEY DEDUCTED INCOME TAX FROM MY RY AND REMITTED THE SAME INTO I.T. DEPARTMENT PAST FEW YEARS. WHEN I APPLY FOR PAN CARD AGENCY DIRECTED TO BE FILLED FULL EXAPANSION OF INITIAL IN FIRST,MIDDLE,SUR NAME COLUMNS. SO I FILLED AS IN FIRST NAME "RAMU" is my g father name for "R" , "PONNUSAMY" is my father name for "P" AND PUT MY NAME IN SURNAME AS "SEKAR". BUT MY CERTIFICATES ARE CARRYING WITH R.P.SEKAR AND MY FATHER NAME AS R.PONNUSAMY. THERE IS NO DO ENTS FOR "RAMU. WHILE SHIFTED MY HOUSE, I HAVE TRIED TO MAKE CORRECTION IN PAN CARD THRU ONLINE AND SENT THE RELEVENT DO ENTS TO THIER PUNE ADDRESS. THEY HAVE REJECTED FOR NO DO ENTS FOR GIVEN NAME. I HAVE TRIED FOR TWO TIMES. THEY REJECTED BOTH TIMES. NOW, EPFO ALSO INSIST TO REGISTER THE PAN CARD NUMBER IN EPF. THERE ALSO SAME PROBLEM. IN TAMILNADU MOSTLY USES INITIALS ONLY NO SUCH FIRST, MIDDLE AND SURNAME. IS ANY REMEDY FOR THIS PROBLEM.
                    1. E
                      Eby
                      May 4, 2017 at 10:40 am
                      I am having the same problem as you, please let me know if you have found a solution