Benchmark indices BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty settled on a flat note on Wednesay tracking global cues. The 50-share Nifty closed 1.25 points, or 0.01 per cent, up at 8777.15, while the 30-share Sensex settled 15.75 points, or 0.06 per cent, down at 28507.42. Today, markets are likely to open higher on the back of firm global cues.
Below are 5 things you should know before market opens on Thursday
1) Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX Nifty) was trading 66.50 points up at 8875 (at 7.59 am IST), indicating a positive start for the domestic equity markets.
2) Asian equity markets were trading higher in the morning trade on Thursday, taking their cue from Wall Street, after the Federal Reserve left US interest rates unchanged and slowed the pace of future hikes, slugging the dollar and lifting commodity prices. Hang Seng, Nikkei and Shanghai were trading higher by 1.47 per cent, 1.91 per cent and 0.65 per cent, respectively.
3) On Wall Street, Dow Jones Industrial Average settled higher by 163.74 points at 18,293.7, the S&P 500 advanced 23.36 points to 2,163.12, while the Nasdaq Composite index settled 53.83 points higher at 5,295.18.
4) Oil prices climbed as much as 3 per cent on Wednesday after a third surprise weekly drop in US crude stockpiles boosted the demand outlook in the world’s largest oil consumer.
5) HPL Electric and Power IPO will hit capital markets today. Should you invest?