The BSE Sensex closed 113.57 points down at 28,220.98, while Nifty 50 index settled 25.20 points down at 8743. Midcap and smallcap indices continued to outperform benchmark indices. The BSE Midcap and BSE Smallcap index closed 0.50 per cent and 0.62 per cent up at 13617.36 and 13290.03, respectively. In the BSE Midcap space, Bajaj Holding, Tata Global, Tata Communications and MRF gained 8.27 per cent, 8.03 per cent, 6.25 per cent and 5.09 per cent, respectively.
2.46 pm: Sensex was down 60 points at 28284.61. Market sentiments also affected with a World Bank research predicting that the proportion of jobs threatened in India by automation is 69 per cent and in China it is 77 per cent.
1.52 pm: Shares of Swan Energy soared 10 per cent and again hit upper circuit on Wednesday. In four trading sessions, shares of the company surged 63.50 per cent to Rs 96.55 till October 5.
12.25 pm: In the Nifty 50 index, Hindalco, Asian Paints, Tata Motors DVR, Ultratech Cement and Bharti Infratel were up between 1.06 per cent and 2.41 per cent. On the other hand, ONGC, Axis Bank, Dr Reddy’s Labs, NTPC and HDFC were down between 1.15 per cent and 1.91 per cent. Nifty was down by 30.45 points at 8738.70. Sensex was trading 102.61 points down at 28,231.94.
11.40 am: Endurance Technologies IPO was subscribed by 1 per cent on the first day of offer till 11 am. Read more
11.19 am: The Nikkei India Services Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI), which tracks services sector companies on a monthly basis, stood at 52 in September, down from August’s 43-month high of 54.7, pointing to a slower and moderate rate of expansion.
10.43 am: ABG Shipyard shares surged over 9 per cent after reports that ICICI Bank has acquired 11.08 per cent stake in the company on conversion of compulsorily convertible preference shares (CCPS) to equity. Read more
10.30 am: Endurance Technologies has raised over Rs 348 crore by allotting shares to anchor investors. Read more: Endurance Technologies IPO opens: 5 things you should know before subscribing
10.18 am: Sensex was down 94.14 points at 28240. Nifty was trading 20.95 points down at 8748.
9.41 am: Indian rupee was trading 12 paise down at 66.58 in morning trade. Sensex was up 23 points at 28357. Nifty was down 5.60 points at 8,763.
9.17 am: Sensex was trading 133.83 points up at 28468.38. To protect domestic industries from cheap imports, the government today again extended the minimum import price (MIP) on 66 steel products for a period of two months. Shares of Jindal Steel and Tata Steel were up by 1.75 per cent and 1.42 per cent.
9.15 am: The BSE Sensex opened 91.19 points, or 0.32 per cent, up at 28425.74 on Wednesday, while Nifty opened 37.20 points, or 0.42 per cent, up at 8806.35.
The BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty are likely to open on a flat note on Wednesday tracking global cues. Domestic equity markets ended in the green for the third day on Tuesday as the benchmark Sensex rose over 91 points after rate-sensitive stocks broke free on RBI’s surprise decision to cut policy rate by 0.25 per cent to 6.25 per cent, a 6-year low.
Below are five things you should know before markets open on Wednesday:
1) Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX Nifty) was trading 3 points, or 0.03 per cent, up at 8797, indicating a flat opening for domestic equity markets.
2) Asian peers Nikkei and Hang Seng were trading higher by 0.24 per cent and 0.53 per cent, respectively, in the morning trade.
3) On Wall Street, The Dow Jones Industrial Average index slipped by 85.40 points, or 0.5 per cent, to 18,168.45 on Tuesday. The S&P 500 declined 10.71 points, or 0.5 per cent, to 2,150.49. The Nasdaq Composite index shed 11.22 points, or 0.2 per cent, to 5,289.66.
4) Foreign institutional investors on Tuesday stood net buyers in equity segment, while they were net sellers in debt segment, according to data released by the NSDL. In equity segment, the gross buying was of Rs 3796.14 crore against gross selling of Rs 3687.36 crore. Thus, FIIs stood as net buyers of Rs 108.78 crore in equities. In the debt segment, the gross purchase was of Rs 2651.44 crore with gross sales of Rs 3699.39 crore. Thus, FIIs stood as net sellers of Rs 1047.95 crore in debt.
5) Endurance Technologies IPO is set to hit capital markets today. The auto components maker has raised over Rs 348 crore by allotting shares to anchor investors ahead of its initial public offering. It has fixed price band at Rs 467-472 per equity share.