1. Credit data breach: Govt seeks detailed report

Credit data breach: Govt seeks detailed report

With the biggest-ever cyber security breach affecting 32 lakh debit cardholders in India, finance minister Arun Jaitley on Friday said the government has sought a detailed report on the extent of data compromise and steps are being taken to contain the damage.

By: | New Delhi | Published: October 22, 2016 6:13 AM

With the biggest-ever cyber security breach affecting 32 lakh debit cardholders in India, finance minister Arun Jaitley on Friday said the government has sought a detailed report on the extent of data compromise and steps are being taken to contain the damage.

On Thursday, the National Payments Corporation of India estimated that Rs 1.3 crore had been lost by Indian customers. Data across cards are believed to have been stolen from ATMs of an Indian private sector bank that is serviced by Hitachi Payment Services. Of the debit cards affected, 26.5 lakh are on Visa and Mastercard platforms, while 6 lakh are on RuPay.

The finance ministry has asked the Reserve Bank of India and banks to provide details of the data breach. “(We) have sought a report in the debit card issue. The idea is to contain the damage,”
Jaitley said.

With complaints of fraudulent withdrawals spread across debit cards of 19 banks and 641 customers, a host of lenders rushed to either replacing cards or asking customers to change their
ATM PINs.

Economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das said: “Customers should not panic because these hackings are done through computer and trail can easily be reached. Whatever action has to be taken, it will be done
with speed.”

The RBI data showed that at the end of July, 56 banks had issued 69.7 crore debit cards in India, of which more than 20 crore belonged to State Bank of India.

Department of financial services additional secretary GC Murmu on Thursday said only about 0.5% of the total debit card details were compromised while the remaining 99.5% cards are completely safe and bank customers should not panic.

“Since the data compromise took place from specific machines within a particular time period, it is just a limited issue and banks have asked their affected customers to replace their card or change their PIN,” Murmu had said, adding that other cards are not affected at all.

The umbrella body of all retail payments system — the National Payments Corporation of India – on Thursday said all affected banks have been alerted by card networks. (With PTI inputs)

Please Wait while comments are loading...

Go to Top